Trip to Ireland

Trip to Ireland

Author
Posted Sun 2 Feb 2020 8:29 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We are planning our first trip to Ireland. We arrive in Ireland March 29 and depart on April 8th. We are staying in Dublin at the Temple Bar Wellington Quay Apartments. I have been told that there is no way you can seen all of Ireland in ten days and I know that is true but I would like to take in as much as possible.

There are a few touristy things that I have heard about and want to see but my biggest desire is to see the land, meet locals and learn the ways of the country folk of Ireland as I am a country girl myself. We are travelling with my nephew and his wife who would really enjoy some of the older pubs for lunches and such.

I'm hoping that you will have some suggestions for us. We have been told that renting a car is the best way to go if wanting to see the countryside. My niece and I have watched the movie "P.S. I Love You" together and want to see some of the locations this movie was shot in.

Thank you in advance for any ideas you can provide us. So looking forward to this trip!!
Loretta

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 3 Feb 2020 9:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Loretta,

Welcome to our community, it's lovely to have you here!

I'd be more than happy to jump in and see if I can make planning your trip a bit easier.

While seeing all of Ireland in ten days might be just a bit too ambitious, there's nothing at all wrong with taking in as much as possible. On that point, renting a vehicle is one wonderful way to explore this little isle, and there's no shortage of helpful advice for people looking to plan a road trip. 

Starting by exploring these filming locations is a lovely place to start, if you ask me. On that note, it sounds like you're starting your adventure in just the right spot. Dublin was one of the filming spots, and you can eve stop by Whelans pub while in the city.

Besides Dublin, much of "P.S. I Love You" takes place in Wicklow, exploring different quaint villages, landscapes, and unique views. Some spots I'd certainly recommend popping by would be Glendalough, the Wicklow Gap, and Blessington, which is right by the Blessington Lakes. There's certainly plenty more to see, though. Is there anywhere else from "P.S. I Love You" that you have your heart set on visiting? I'd be happy to point you in the right direction! 

For the rest of your trip, may I ask if you're looking to explore Irish cities, have an adventure along the coast, or just take in the scenery? This would make sure that I'm helping make an itinerary you'll absolutely adore.

I hope this helps! If you need any more advice, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Kindest regards,
Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 4 Feb 2020 1:30 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Rochelle,

Thank you so much for getting back to me! Whelan’s Pub is definitely on our list of visits and Temple Bar. We also would like to visit Wicklow Mountains National Park (Sally Gap). Jameson Distillery is on the list. Would love to see a castle, Grafton St., KilKenny and or Cork. We here Dingle is something g to see. The Blazenhead pub,John Fox’s Pub. Kinsale , Glendo or Ring of Kerry Peninsula.

We are open to almost anything so any suggestions you can give are welcomed.

Thank you again Rochelle for your time.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 4 Feb 2020 10:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Loretta,

It certainly sounds like you have the makings of a wonderful itinerary already!

In addition, we would certainly suggest following on up the Wild Atlantic Way to at least Galway if possible. There is so much to see as you drive up the coast and County Galway has plenty of music and fun things to see and do all by itself.

We have a trip idea on Dublin to Galway, off the beaten track which will take you back towards the city and see some more wonderful locations and smaller towns as you venture across the Midlands. It is for four days but it will give you some idea as to what can be seen along the way if time is a little shorter.

Hopefully, this gives you lots of inspiration, and maybe your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

Martin