Tracing descendents of Knights of Kerry

Tracing descendents of Knights of Kerry

Author
Posted Mon 10 Feb 2020 5:28 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0

I have written in another post regarding my ancestor Patrick Henry FitzGerald who lived in Dublin 1800-1856 trying to understand the times in which he lived and researching the way he lived hoping it might give me a clue as to where he comes from. Sadly, not the case. In fact it is probably time to give up. But I can’!! 
i know only that he is a native of Kerry( as recorded in the obituary of my ggrandfather, his son) but no town is mentioned. Family folklore always said he was related to Knights of Kerry but I have never given this much credit. After all it is likely most FitzGerald’s are descended from the Knights of Kerry. 
However in the absence of any other leads other than a DNA connection on Ancestry to a descendant of Lucy FitzGerald, daughter of the 14th Knight I have decided to try and research the  possibility. Ancestry suggests 6-8 cousins which for my match which would mean Patrick Henry’s grandfather was somehow related to 14th Knight. I also have a smaller DNA connection to descendants of Knights of Glin- I believe they did intermarry at some stage.
My question of the community is - does anyone know of any way or any person who could help me find out descendants of younger siblings of the Knights other than Burke’s peerage which I have examined fairly closely?? 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 10 Feb 2020 11:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Noella, 

I totally understand you don't want to give up your search for Patrick! I've had a look myself, and I was thinking that the Museum of County Kerry might know of researchers and historians who would be able to help you out with your search. If you reach out to the museum directly, they'll get back to you as quickly as possible. 

I hope one or more of our expert members will be able to provide you with a contact that knows more about the Knights of Kerry as well! 

Keep us posted! :)
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Feb 2020 3:35 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thanks for your response, Melin. I had thought of doing that or even the Tralee museum( maybe they are one and the same thing). We visited the Tralee museum one cold wet day last October but somehow I couldn’t pluck up the courage to ask. Great display on the ground floor dedicated to FitzGeralds in medieval period, though.
I have also heard that there are some in Ireland interested in various families like FitzGerald and working on completing the missing persons from the family trees! Perhaps they the museum will know.
Noella

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Feb 2020 11:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Noella. the Kerry Museum is indeed the same as the Tralee Museum. :) It's great you've already visited here, and feel free to reach out to them at any time, as I'm sure they'd love to help! 

Another place where you might find more information is via the Fitzgerald Clan. They know a lot about the history of this important family and hopefully can point you in the right direction as well. 

Give us a shout if there is anything else you need, and we'd love to hear about your findings! 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Feb 2020 10:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Thanks Melin, for your suggestions. Sadly no reply from Kerry History Museum and FitzGerald Clan - seem to be inactive at present!! No posts for a while. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Feb 2020 2:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Noella, 

Thanks so much for the update! I do hope the County Kerry Museum will get back to you soon, but in the meantime, you could also to reach out to them via their official Facebook page

Did you try to contact the Fitzgerald Clan via their Facebook page or via the contact form on their website? :)

I hope some of our other experts will have more suggestions as well. 

Thanks again!