Drive from Belgium or take the plane?

Drive from Belgium or take the plane?

Author
Posted Fri 14 Feb 2020 12:30 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
- Is it silly to prefer one's own car over the hassle of airports and car rentals? Can you drive from Brussels to Dublin in a single day (we'll use the Channel tunnel)? Or does it make more sense to fly there? (We drove to Copenhagen in one day, to Porto in two days).
- Spending 2 days driving, we would have 15 days in July to enjoy in Ireland. Is that too many? If so, we could stop and see a few things in England - instead of just driving through. Not driving the exact same route twice would be nice too.
- I'm thinking that adding Edinburgh and Ulster/Belfast is sheer madness, no?
- Hmm, when looking at ferry times, it seems not that easy to take a ferry when you reach the Irish Sea; there are few crossings per day.
- Any other thoughts about the actual travel?
Thanks!

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 14 Feb 2020 9:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for reaching out to share these plans with us! 

I do understand why you'd prefer to drive in your own car and there are certainly options to help get there. In fact, right on the Ireland.com website there's a section all about how to get to the Emerald Isle, including by ferry. You can search by different locations, for example, there are ferries between Holyhead and Dublin, which gives the option for two separate ferries. There are booking times and schedules right on their websites. I'd suggest leaving time to reach the port, at least an hour or two, just to avoid missing the boat.

If you are still concerned, I completely understand! What I'd suggest is reaching out to these companies for more information. You could also search flights if you're more comfortable flying.

As for how long to stay in Ireland, and I might be just a bit bias, but I'd say 15 days is a wonderful amount of time to spend here! There's certainly plenty to see while on the Emerald Isle. Not to say that you can't stop by Ulster, Edinburgh, or other spots that catch your eye, of course!

Before I chat your ear right off, do you mind if I ask what you're most interested in seeing while here? If you could share a bit more about what your dream trip might look like, I might just be able to help fill out your itinerary.

I do look forward to chatting again!

Kindly,
Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Feb 2020 11:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Jan,

It sounds like you're planning a wonderful trip!  15 days is certainly ample time to explore what the Emerald Isle has to offer.  

Should you decide to visit Belfast, might I encourage you to visit the Causeway Coast and Glens?  The A2 heading north from Belfast is known as the Causeway Coastal Route.  The well signposted road follows the stunning coastline of the North Antrim coast.  It is studded with gems such as historic castles, quaint harbours, glens, golden sandy beaches, unique geology and friendly towns and villages.  There are many places to stop and explore as time permits.

Please see the following link for an example itinerary of how to spend 48 hours in the Causeway Coast and Glens:
https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/48-hours-causeway-coast-glens/

Also, the Causeway Coastal Route extends to the city of Derry in the west and from there you could link onto the Wild Atlantic Way before returning to Dublin.  Just a suggestion! 

Happy planning and I wish you an enjoyable trip!

Alison