Navigating the "rounds system" at Irish pubs

Navigating the "rounds system" at Irish pubs

Author
Posted Tue 18 Feb 2020 12:33 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
The Irish "rounds system" of buying drinks at pubs is something I understand in theory - I buy you one, you buy me one - but find difficult to navigate in actuality.  What advice can you share to help visitors be more culturally sensitive when visiting Ireland?
  • What if I don't want to drink very much…Can I decline drinks without offending people? (I would still buy my round, of course.)
  • I'm not going to drink much…would it be better if I didn't do rounds, and simply bought my own drinks?
  • When you offer to buy a drink and an Irishman/ Irishwoman says, "no" does this actually mean NO or are you just being polite and I should ask again? Should I insist?
  • I can't manage to get my round in. Every time, someone beats me too it. And now it's late and I want to go home, but I don't want to be a jerk. What's the best way to exit?  Is it weird to leave money and say, "for your next round?"?
IMPORTANT:  In addition to reading your advice on the community discussion board, I would like to share your thoughts on my blog.  If you would not like your advice shared, please say so, and I will respect your wishes.  

Many thanks!
T&HB

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Feb 2020 2:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi T&HB!

These are some great questions! I totally understand you want to know everything about Irish pub etiquette. Are you thinking of visiting us in the near future? 

When you are going out for a drink in a pub in Ireland it is common to buy the drinks in rounds, and you are included in the 'the round' if you accept the offer for a drink. 

- Usually, there will be someone who offers to get the first round, and it is no problem to decline a drink in between, as long as you buy a round before it's the first persons turn again. 

- If you don't intend to drink too much, it is perfectly acceptable to not join in the round. :) (If you are drinking pints, you could also ask for a half-pint instead.)

- When someone declines your drink offer, you could always ask them 'are you sure', or offer them a non-alcoholic beverage instead. People here can sometimes be polite and tell you they don’t want food or drink even when they do. This of course depends on the individual, but it never hurts to make sure.

- This one is up for your own discretion really. :) If you do not 'get your round in', it's very kind to leave money for the next round, or buy the round before you leave. (A tip if others keep beating you to the punch: Check when people have half-empty glasses and quietly make your way to the bar to order.)

For more on Ireland's pubs, take a look here. I hope our other members can provide you with more tips!

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Feb 2020 12:14 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thanks Melin!

I appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions.  The information is helpful, and will be useful.  Would love to visit Ireland, again!  It's been too long! 

I will definitely check out your link for more ideas.

Thanks again!
T&HB
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Feb 2020 10:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi T&HB,

No problem, always happy to help! :) It would be great to welcome you back to the Emerald Isle again. When was the last time you were here, and have you been to any pubs during your visit? 

Feel free to post a link to your blog post about Irish pub etiquette here once it's finished! 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 7:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Melin,

I think the last time I was in Ireland was 2016?  So I'm due a visit.  💚😊  Visited a few good pubs in various places around the country during my visit, but I'm always keeping my ear open for good recommendations (in addition to using links like the one you mentioned in a previous comment).  

And thanks, I will post a link to the blog post when it's done….hopefully soon!  

Best,
T&HB

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 9:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
It would be great to welcome you back to explore more pubs here on the island! :) We're of course always here if you need suggestions. 

Thanks so much for posting a link to your blog post here once it's done! I'm sure our other members would love to read it too. :)

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 8 Mar 2020 10:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Melin,

I've finished the blog post.  You can find it here.

Thanks for sharing all your tips, and advice.  I have a better understanding of this aspect of Irish culture, and I hope my readers (and the readers on this discussion board) will, too.

Here's another scenario I though of….  Care to comment?  I'm curious to hear your opinion.

I'm out in a pub with 4 friends….We've started rounds, but by the time we get 3 rounds in, everybody is done drinking. Myself and another person have not been able to buy a round yet.  I feel bad because I've essentially just had three free drinks.  How do you handle this?  Make it a priority to buy their round next time (if you see them soon)?  Or?

Again, thanks for the conversation.  If we ever happen to meet in a pub, I owe you one.  :)

T&HB
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 9 Mar 2020 1:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi T&HB,

Thanks so much for your message! I love your blog post! :) 

As to answer your question about the scenario, I would definitely tell them that next time we'll meet I will be there first one to buy a round. The other thing I usually ask is if they would like a non-alcoholic drink instead. As long as you address it, you're all good. :) 

Thanks again for sharing your blog with us, and the first round is on me if we ever meet! 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 14 Mar 2020 6:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Melin,

Great advice.  Thanks!

T&HB