Looking for information on the Gallagher family of Roscommon

Looking for information on the Gallagher family of Roscommon

Author
Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 5:50 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My name is Tom Gallagher from Massachusetts. I'm looking for information on my Gallagher/MURREN  side. My grandfather was Peter Gallagher born March 1, 1897 at 38 Knockglass, Boyle, Ballinameen, Co Roscommon.
I believe they lived by St Attracta's church and were members but, I don't have any of those records.
Brother James and sister Bridget Jane stayed on the family farm. My g grandfather was Peter, married to Johanna Jane MURREN.
I don't have much information on them nor my gg grandparents Peter and Mary Keaveny.
I would appreciate any assistance in obtaining birth, marriage, death, obituaries, or any other information.
Thank you in advance for assisting me in my search. 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 7:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Tom

You can download and print civil birth, marriage and death register entries at www.irishgenealogy.ie. For example it records that Peter Gallagher was born in townland of Knockglass (in Kilcolagh civil parish parish in registrar's district of Ballinameen in poor law union of Boyle, County Roscommon) on 1 March 1897; and that his parents Peter Gallagher of Knockglass, son of Peter Gallagher married Jane Murren, of Tonroe (in Kilnamanagh civil parish), daughter of Laurence Murren In Breedogue Chapel (in registrar's district of Ballinameen in poor law union of Boyle, County Roscommon) on 5 February 1894.

Civil parishes of Kilcolagh and Kilnamanagh are served by RC parish of Ballinameen and the baptism registers for this parish from 1859 to 1881 and marriage registers form 1860 to 1900 can be searched at www.roscommon.rootsireland.ie.

Also check out 1901 and 1911 census returns at www.census.nationalarchives.ie. For example 1901 census returns record the family of Peter Gallagher, age 50 and his wife Jane, age 36 and children James, Peter, May and Bridget Jane in townland of Knockglass (Kilcolagh parish). Again you can download and print these census returns.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 7:18 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Brian, 
Thank you for the response and assistance.  Can I ask what it means by "poor law union" ?

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 10:25 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
In this case poor law union, also known as superintendent registrar's district, is an administrative division used for civil registration of births, marriages and deaths.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 10:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you for the clarification 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 22 Feb 2020 10:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Tom,

It looks like Brian has already managed to provide you with some excellent resources/information. Thanks, Brian :) 

Hopefully, that will get you a little further in your research, do let us know how you get on though.

If you need any further advice with this one, Tom. I am more than happy to answer any other questions you may have.

G.

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 22 Feb 2020 1:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Gordon, 
I don't know the actual birth date of Jane MURREN from Tonroe or much of her side of the family. 
Great grandfather Peter Gallagher was born in 1840 or March 18 1847. Not sure where but, died March 17 1908. Unknown where he is buried. I believe he had 3 siblings but, not sure. 
His father was Peter Gallagher born around 1834 unknown of actual date or location. Died March 15 1915 unknown burial location. 
His mother Mary Keaveny unknown dates of birth and death. Unknown location of burial and who her parents were.  I'd be grateful of any information that could be found. 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 11:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Tom, 

I see that Brian has already supplied you with some super useful information, and I hope I'll be able to point you in the right direction. :)

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records; while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. Have you been in touch with the centre in Roscommon yet? They might be able to help you uncover more information.

In 1864 civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), to this day.

When you already know where and when your ancestor lived on the Emerald Isle, or if you simply want to browse through the archives, you can do so in the Church records and Civil records on the Irish Genealogy website (free of charge). 

I hope this was helpful, and please don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any questions!

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 11:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Melin,  thank you 
 I've checked a lot of sites and have received some information but, still unable to locate further information. I have not been in touch with the parishes directly or the Roscommon centres.
I've been stuck in my research. I've checked online graveyard records with little success in locating my ancestors. Research can be difficult from so far away at times .

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 25 Feb 2020 11:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Tom, 

I totally understand it can be a challenge doing research when you're far away! I do highly recommend reaching out to both the genealogy centre and any parishes in the area, as they are always more than happy to see what they can do to help. 

The Roscommon Heritage Center can be reached by email, and you can find their contact details on this page. There are two email addresses mentioned here, so if you send your question to both, they will look into it for you as soon as possible. 

I hope our other members can provide you with more tips as well! :)