McGrory and McLaughlin

McGrory and McLaughlin

Author
Posted Sat 22 Feb 2020 7:22 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I'm looking for information on the McGrory family of the Inishowen, Magheraban, Buncrana, Tonduff area.
Michael McGrory - I don't have a date of birth, but he died around Dec 4  1918 and buried at the Star of the Sea.
Parents  Patrick and Mary Doherty - I do not have dates of birth or death however, Mary died in 1901. I believe they had a few more children.
Frances "Fanny" McLaughlin - I don't have a date of birth but, she died in 1921 and buried with son Michael McGrory born May 25,1901 and died of an accident between 1950 and 1957?
Also buried is Mary O'Brien, born Sep 6 1894 and died around Apr 13, 1988 at the Nazareth home.
They had Rose McGrory May 1, 1908 - Aug 29, 1910. I don't know where she was buried.
Any assistance is appreciated. 

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 9:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Tom,

It's great that you are researching your McGrory roots! :) It's great that you've been able to find out so much already. Are you trying to work your way back in time with the information you have until now?

Sometimes death certificates can provide you with a place and date of birth. Have you been able to locate any of these certificates yet? 

In 1864 civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), to this day. You are more than welcome to reach out to them for more information. 

Keep us posted on your findings! :)
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 9:59 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Melin,
I've been lucky to find what I can but, stuck in the research. Trying to find out more history and tie in the missing pieces. I'm unable to further locate birth, death,  obituary records on the  few McGrory's I've previously mentioned.  Most came to America.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 10:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 9 seconds ago Visits: 13.3K
Hi Tom,

It can be tricky indeed finding out some more information even with the recent past as you are!

We have an excellent resource article on our main website that has lots of links including one to the Ulster Historical Foundation who may be able to help with information on the Inishowen area.

You may wish to try Roots Ireland who has extensive records with searches by county an option and also Donegal Ancestry who are located in Rathmullan.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and hopefully, your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 11:11 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Martin for your recommendations. We  will see what happens 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 8:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Tom

I would recommend you search the database of Donegal Ancestry at www.donegal.rootsireland.ie together with database of civil registers at www.irishgenealogy.ie.

For example, you can download and print the following civil birth entry at irishgenealogy.ie:
Birth registered in Laghy Registrar's District in Donegal Superintendent Registrar's District
Born 2 August 1867 at Trummon
Michael McGrory, son of Patrick McGrory and Mary Dogherty

The townloads of Trumman East and West are located in the civil parish of Drumhome, just to the South of Donegal town.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 8:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Brian, 
Thank you so much for the resources and information on Michael. I'll check out some of the resources. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 25 Feb 2020 11:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Tom

I suspect your main problem is going to be the fact that the registers of Buncran RC parish (where you would expect details of your McGrory ancestors to be recorded) don't predate 1864.  

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 25 Feb 2020 11:20 AM
View Quick Profile
Correct Brian,  I suppose that is why some of my research is at a standstill but, the Michael Mcgrory date of birth was a big part of the puzzle.  Previously hse was unable to locate any records on him. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 25 Feb 2020 1:25 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Tom,

Thank you for keeping us posted on your findings!

Tracing our family roots is definitely a daunting task. As Brian correctly pointed out previously, dates are very important as records before 1864 were kept in the form of church and parish records; while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres.

We hope you'll be able to find out more via the other mentioned resources!

We're always here if you need anything!

Romina