Murphy/ Doherty Lisburn, County Antrim 1800s

Murphy/ Doherty Lisburn, County Antrim 1800s

Author
Posted Sun 23 Feb 2020 9:32 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have a marriage certificate for Felix Murphy and Julia Doherty. They were married at St Patrick Catholic Church in Lisburn, County Antrim on 2 May 1881.
The certificate shows Felix's father is Francis Murphy and Julia's father is Henry Doherty.  I would love to know more about Francis Murphy and Henry Doherty and go back further in these lines.
If anyone has information it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Feb 2020 10:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Mary,

It's great to hear that you have the marriage certificate for Felix and Julia and looking to follow back to find their paternal lines!

Does the certificate say where Francis and Henry are from as I would imagine they were born before 1864? This is crucial as before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 28 Mar 2020 6:20 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
No, sadly it doesn't have any more information than I've already provided.  That's why I'm stuck.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 29 Mar 2020 7:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Mary

if nobody in wider community can provide you with new information you will have to rely on church baptismal registers to confirm birth and parent details of Felix Murphy and Julia Doherty born c. 1860 or earlier.

If you searched Rootsireland.ie for these births without success it might be worth searching for births of siblings c. 1860; in other words search RootsIreland.ie with father's names, i.e. Francis Murphy and Henry Doherty.

Also search mid-19th century Griffith's Valuation for references to Francis Murphy and Henry Doherty as it is quite likely that they were recorded as heads of households in this source.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 30 Mar 2020 10:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Brian, 

This is super helpful! Thanks so much for sharing your tips and suggestions here. :)

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 31 Mar 2020 8:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Brian!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Apr 2020 2:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Mary, I would recommend obtaining the marriage record for free from the civil section of www.irishgenealogy.ie as this will provide you with the occupations of Felix, Julia and their fathers as well as their residences when they married and the names of their witnesses, all clues for pushing further back.

I would also suggest searching www.rootsireland.ie as Brian has recommended, searching both for the baptisms of siblings of Felix and Julia but also their siblings' marriage records - for example I came across the marriage record of a Daniel Doherty who seems highly likely to be Julia's brother.

All the best with your research, if you would like us to do some of the research for you when you've explored all that is available online, please visit https://www.ancestryireland.com/research-services/

Best wishes,

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Apr 2020 3:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Gillian, 

Once again, thank you for all of your suggestions and help here! I hope this Daniel Doherty is Julia's brother and that it will solve this piece of the puzzle for Mary. 

Thanks again! :)
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 9 Apr 2020 7:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 20
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 1.7K
Hi
You might also want to check with the Public Records Office for Northern Ireland   https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/proni
Their office in Belfast is currently closed due to Coronavirus, but they have a lot of information online and cover all of Northern Ireland.
Kind regards 
Visit Belfast