Advice please!

Advice please!

Author
Posted Tue 10 Mar 2020 5:26 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Several issues here, any advice gratefully received!
1) From websites I think as a UK citizen I don't need a passport to visit Ireland, even after Brexit. Is this correct?
2) I've had a look at flight options vs drive options. Drive seems better for me in terms of flexibility and timing (Southampton-Killarney), any thoughts?
3) From elsewhere on this site it looks like I wouldn't need any extra documents to drive in Ireland, passport, insurance, MOT etc all needed in UK anyway. Is this correct?
4) Any other advice as I've never been abroad and this is .....scary!

Cheers
Charlie
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 11 Mar 2020 9:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Charlie,

It's great to hear that you are planning on coming over to see us as your first holiday abroad!

Firstly, as it stands at the moment, there are no changes to the photo ID requirements when travelling to the Republic of Ireland post-Brexit. Please have a look at our Travelling after Brexit page for some details and helpful links.

The mode of transport over to us and when you are here is indeed a personal choice depending on how you feel about driving and or hiring a car when here. We have a flights/ferry page for deciding what is available, please have a look for provider options using the drop-down menus. From Southampton, the closest airport would be Bournemouth to Dublin, or Bristol to Shannon, both would mean hiring a car this end. Ferry wise, Fishguard or Pembroke both arrive at Rosslare and a drive west via Waterford, Cork and Killarney would be the possible route.

With regards to documents while driving, please have a look at the UK GOV page on driving abroad after January 2021 but prior to that, carry your driver's license as this is a requirement whilst driving in the Republic and as long as your car is taxed, insured and MOT'd in the UK then there is no other requirements. Our page on Travelling by Road also has some handy information too.

Any other advice, well, plan your time with us, take a look at our trip ideas for some itinerary help and enjoy the places you visit and take your time! Part of the trip should be the views getting from one place to another, so much to see as you travel, plenty of hidden gems at every town or village.

I hope this answers some of your questions, and hopefully, your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this!

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 11 Mar 2020 3:42 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Martin, that helps a lot. It seemed like I didn't need any more documents but its reassuring to have someone doublecheck. One of those recommended sites also states Ryanair requires a passport, so that kinda decides the air/land argument as well. Now got to be brave and work out how to do it! Thanks again.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Mar 2020 9:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
We are always happy to help!

It is definitely a good idea to always check the terms and conditions with all providers as they can indeed be different. 

So having decided on using your car, what would be your ideal itinerary for your time with us? We have plenty of wonderful pages and trip ideas to help with your plans.

We also have an approved accommodation search page where you can check out what's available all over the island of Ireland. Please feel free to take a look and use the drop-down menus to select a location and type.

What time of year are you looking to come over and see us?
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Mar 2020 10:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Time of year - August. My favourite group are playing concerts in Killarney on 7th, 8th and 9th. Unfortunately they aren't bringing that particular concert to the UK which prompted this whole line of thought! I'm also a geocacher (cross between orienteering and treasure hunting), so I would be doing some of that on the way. Apart from that I'm quite flexible on what I do/see.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Mar 2020 1:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Michael,

Going abroad for the first time is very exciting! Since you'll be going to an event in Killarney, I definitely recommend checking out some of the lovely sight-seeing spots in the area, like The Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park and more

The Geocaching Ireland page is very helpful for treasure hunters coming over to the island, so you can find more resources and information there. :) 

When you have an idea of what you'd like to see and do on the island, you can then plan out your itinerary and your trip. 

Feel free to get in touch here if there is anything else you'd like to know!

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Mar 2020 4:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Melin for adding to Martin's help. Unfortunately...... The event I wanted to go to has been postponed due to current circumstances. I don't know when it will be re-arranged for and I'll just have to wait and see if there are tickets left for re-arranged dates with enough time for me to cobble together a plan. But thank you again anyway, best regards!

Cheers
Charlie
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Mar 2020 1:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Charlie, 

I'm so sorry your travel plans have impacted, and that the event you were looking forward to has been cancelled. While there are currently no limitations on travel to Ireland, many museums, galleries and tourist sites will be closed, and events might be cancelled. Make sure to keep an eye on our Traveller Health page for more updates surrounding the current situation. 

Again, I am so sorry that the gig has been cancelled, and I hope you'll be able to find tickets for this show in the future. If you ever need help with the arranging of your future plans, please feel free to reach out here at any time. :)