Rail Trip from Cork to Dublin with stop in Waterford

Rail Trip from Cork to Dublin with stop in Waterford

Author
Posted Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:55 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have plans to get to Ireland, to Cork City in August of 2021.  I have family there I am anxious to meet.  We will spend several days together, but this will be my one and only trip to Ireland, so I have to cram much in.  Once we are departing from Cork City, we will go by train to Dublin.  However, I was wondering if one can stop in Waterford visit around then return to tthe train and continue onto Dublin in the same day?  Once we get to Dublin, it will be our homebase prior to flying out to Poland, but our second day in Dublin we are going to County Mayo to visit the Quiet Man Museum and Connemara.  As I said, cramming stuff into the few days, while keeping a break here and there to rest.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 19 Mar 2020 10:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Patricia, 

It sounds like you've got a very exciting and special trip coming up in the summer of next year! :) How long will you be travelling around the island? 

I've had a look at the Irish Rail website, which is the rail service provider for Ireland, and you can travel from Cork to Waterford by train in 3,5 hours. There is also the Dublin Coach Express line 600 which can take you from Cork to Waterford in two hours by bus. This means you'll have more time to explore Waterford that day. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see when you're there? Take a look here for tips and suggestions.  

From Waterford, you can hop on the direct train to Dublin, which will take you there in a little over two hours. Would this be an option? 

Your idea to take a daytrip from Dublin is great! How are you planning on travelling to the west coast? I am more than happy to answer any other questions if you have them. :)

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 19 Mar 2020 2:03 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Melin,

Thank you for your reply.  I am heading into Cork from California.  First to see my Nana's family and where she grew up, though our family farm was sold and the house razed, it will still be wonderful to see.  The current plan is to visit with the family and visit Cork City first.  Then on day 4, head over to Dublin, we will rent a car there.  But I was thinking about the train and then Waterford popped into my head.  One does have to see the Crystal after all.  Not sure of any other sites I am interested in there.  But then I got to thinking if we have our luggage, that might not be a good idea, maybe head back after we check into our accommodations.  I keep looking at things to do, then over add trips.  Definitely going to the Cliffs of Moher via the Railway Tour.  Also, heading to Cong to visit the Quiet Man Museum.  While in Dublin check out places of St. Patrick and other places within the city.  Then going up to Donegal, as my Grandfather's family was from Inoshowen and would like to visit that area to see it and visit the Drough Village.  Planning too much, but it is the only trip I'll get to make there, and then we leave Dublin and go to Poland, where my paternal grandfather came from and we have a wonderful Tour Coordinator for that, it will also include our ancestral day.  So packing a lot into 20 days.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Mar 2020 10:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Patricia, 

Thanks so much for your message! It really is the trip of a lifetime, and I'm so happy you'll be visiting all of the places your ancestors were from. :) 

It's lovely you'll have 20 whole days to travel! How many of those days will be spent here on the island of Ireland? 

From what I can tell so far, your itinerary does look very doable, and it is definitely a good idea to make a stop in Waterford to see the Crystal Factory and walk around the city for a bit. Taking the train would be a relaxed way to travel, and there will be some lovely views along the way. Have you thought about storing your luggage while you explore? 

I'm also happy to hear about your ancestry from the Inishowen Peninsula! It's a beautiful area to explore and would be a good day trip. :) Are you planning on doing any research into your roots while you're on the island? We have a whole genealogy section full of helpful experts if you ever need some help. 

Keep us posted on your plans, and you are more than welcome to post questions updates about your itinerary here! 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Mar 2020 1:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you again.  I think we will be there about 12 days.  Honestly I don't know that much about the side of the family from Donegal.  The genealogist I had check, there were very few records.  But, since I know the places Cardonough and Moville, that will suffice I guess.  The genealogy my parents had done there 20 years ago, goes way back, to the Norman times I think.  I'll have to relook at it, don't trust it much, because the whole current portion (my Mom and her parents) information was wrong.  Ah, well.  I know my great-grandparents left family and maybe sometime I can find out if any decendants are still there.  Just like my Polish side, my Grandfather has only 2 siblings listed, but both past in their youth and no one (5 different geneologists) can find any hide nor hair.

Thank you about the possible storage of our luggage.  I am not much of a traveler, so I wasn't really aware that was a possibility.  Can you check it in at the Railroad?  I have also just recently learned that you can get hotels to hold your luggage if you check out for a night or two, but intend to return. 

Believe me when I say, Thank you for your help and support.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Mar 2020 1:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hello Patricia! 

It's so lovely you'll be here for 12 whole days! I think you'll be able to see loads during that time, and we're always here to help you with your itinerary and plans. 

I've done some research, and even though there is no left luggage facility at the train station anymore, you can store your luggage for a small fee at the shop located in the bus station in Waterford. :)

If you ever want to dive into your ancestry a bit further, please don't hesitate to start another thread in the genealogy section so our expert members can take a look.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Mar 2020 2:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Melin,

Again Thank You for such a quick response.  I will get on the genealogy section soon.

Patti