I just binge-watched Vikings - where was it filmed?

I just binge-watched Vikings - where was it filmed?

Author
Posted Fri 1 May 2020 4:04 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (586 reputation)I'm hooked (586 reputation)I'm hooked (586 reputation)I'm hooked (586 reputation)I'm hooked (586 reputation)I'm hooked (586 reputation)I'm hooked (586 reputation)I'm hooked (586 reputation)I'm hooked (586 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Apr 2022 1:52 PM Visits: 248
Ah yes, Vikings. This hit show was made for History Channel and has been running since 2013. It chronicles the life of famed Viking Ragnar Lothbrok, and his brutal and perilous journey exploring and pillaging lands across the sea. But Ragnar Lothbrok and his compatriots couldn’t come to life on our screens without the distinctive setting of Ireland.

A good portion of Vikings was filmed in County Wicklow. For instance, Lough Tay, which is sometimes known as Guinness Lake, might be recognised as the main setting of the story – the village of Kettegat. There were also scenes shot at other Wicklow locations, including Lough Dan, Blessington Lakes and Powerscourt Waterfall and Estate.  

Meanwhile, County Meath provided the location for incredible technological feats, such as the creation of the ancient River Seine, which was placed over the River Boyne using CGI. County Kerry’s Nun’s Beach on Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way was also transformed into the beach of Northumbria on the show.

Does our community know of any of the show's other famous locations or do you have any stories from when it was being filmed?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/01-05-2020/0452954e-de63-4097-8b7f-55c3.jpg