Ancient Sites to Visit

Ancient Sites to Visit

Author
Posted Thu 14 May 2020 8:28 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
One of my favourite things about Ireland is all the historic, ancient sites scattered throughout the country. I visited as many as I could during my Ireland road trip (it was impossible to see everything of interest) but here are a few of my favourites:

Bru na Boinne- A collection of passage tombs that are older than the Egyptian pyramids. You can go inside the chamber at Newgrange and at Knowth you can admire some fantastic examples of megalithic art on the tomb's kerbstones.

The Rock of Cashel- A ruined fortress scenically located atop a green hill. Remains include include a large 13th century stone cathedral and a cemetery with several beautiful high crosses. Across the road is the abandoned Hore Abbey which is also worth visiting if you enjoy exploring ruins.

Glendalough- A former monastic settlement in the Wicklow mountains. The picturesque site includes a round tower, ancient cemetery, and stone church.

Cahergall and Leacanabuaile- Ringforts that can be visited with a short detour off the Ring of Kerry. Cahergall is large and restored, offering stunning views of the surrounding landscape from the top of its walls. Leacanabuaile is smaller but you can see the walls of its interior rooms.

Dún Aengus- A prehistoric fortress that stands precariously at the edge of a high cliff. It can be visited during a day trip to Inishmore, one of the Aran Islands.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 15 May 2020 11:10 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Rhonda,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know all about your trip with us, it certainly looks like you had a great time!

Even with a 2-week self-drive trip you never run out of things to see and do, many changes in landscapes and seascapes and also our weather. 🌈

An inspiration for anyone planning a trip over, where else would you love to have had time to visit? ☘️