SMYTH (SMITH) family, County Antrim

SMYTH (SMITH) family, County Antrim

Author
Posted Fri 15 May 2020 7:55 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I HAVE A LETTER WRITTEN IN 1875 FROM A PLACE IN IRELAND CALLED "CARNDUGAN" TO MY GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER, ELIZABETH SMYTH (SMITH). ELIZABETH WAS BORN IN 1835 IN COUNTY ANTRIM.  HER BROTHERS, JAMES AND WILLIAM WERE BORN IN COUNTY DERRY IN 1824 AND 1825.   I AM TRYING TO LOCATE THE "CARNDUGAN" NAMED IN THE LETTER I HAVE.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME?  I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS IN COUNTY ANTRIM OR DERRY.....OR ELSEWHERE.  THANK YOU
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 16 May 2020 4:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Terry

It probably refers to the townland of Carndougan in Macosquin parish, County Derry. It is located in the Bann Valley just to the south of the town of Coleraine.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 16 May 2020 5:07 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION - I'M SURE THAT MUST BE WHAT THE LETTER REFERRED TO. SINCE THE LETTER IS NEARLY 150 YEARS OLD i WASN'T SURE IF THE TOWN STILL EXISTED OR IF THE NAME HAD BEEN CHANGED AS TIME PASSED.  

I ALSO HAVE FAMILY WHO CAME TO THE UNITED STATES FROM SUNCROFT, COUNTY KILDARE....FAMILY NAME WAS O'NEILL.  ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THAT AREA  BY CHANCE.   ALSO HAD FAMILY WHO MIGRATED FROM COUNTY DERRY AND ULSTER. 

ON MY MOTHER'S SIDE, HER MOTHER'S FAMILY NAMED "SHEEDY" ARE ALSO FROM IRELAND....HOWEVER I HAVE NO FURTHER INFORMATION ON WHAT PART OF IRELAND.  WOULD SPECIFIC FAMILY NAMES BE FROM SPECIFIC PARTS OF IRELAND BY CHANCE SO THEY COULD EASILY BE TRACED?

THANK YOU FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE ME.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 16 May 2020 11:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Terry.

It looks like Brian got that first question spot on so I will not dig into that one any further. 

I know Suncroft well, I have spent many an evening in the Croft inn, in the middle of the town. The name O'Neil is still quite common around that area. Talking of which You find generally names will start out in a specific area but will spread across the island quite quickly. For instance, the O'Neills start out in Tara around 360 AD but by the 10th Century, they are a Prominent name in Ulster, Limerick, Waterford and Carlow. Today there are O'Neills all over the island.

So you also asked what would help get more info. Yes, names, dates and areas are the easiest way to start tracking things down. If you have any specifics please post them and I will see if I can dig anything up for you.

I look forward to reading your reply.
G.