I love the show Normal People, where in Ireland was it filmed?

I love the show Normal People, where in Ireland was it filmed?

Author
Posted Thu 28 May 2020 1:31 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (572 reputation)I'm hooked (572 reputation)I'm hooked (572 reputation)I'm hooked (572 reputation)I'm hooked (572 reputation)I'm hooked (572 reputation)I'm hooked (572 reputation)I'm hooked (572 reputation)I'm hooked (572 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Apr 2022 1:52 PM Visits: 248
It seems like the words “Have you seen Normal People?” are on everyone’s lips these days. If they’re not discussing the chemistry between the two leads, Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar-Jones, they’re talking about the stunning scenery that serves as the backdrop to the series.

It was only natural that the crew would film on location in County Sligo. Located on the west coast of Ireland along the Wild Atlantic Way, County Sligo shines on screen. One location that cast members and viewers alike fell in love with was Streedagh Beach, a 3km stretch of sand popular with surfers all year round.

For the fictional town of Carricklea where Marianne and Connell grew up, the crew headed to Tubbercurry, the second largest town in Sligo. The crew filmed in locations all across the town, including St John the Evangelist Church, Brennan’s Bar and Killoran's Traditional Restaurant & Lounge Bar.

And who could forget the stunning surrounds of Trinity College in Dublin? The college looms large in the series so much so that it almost becomes another character on screen. Both the director, Lenny Abrahamson and author, Sally Rooney, attended Trinity, and their love of the college shines through on the screen. It’s here where Marianne and Connell reconnect and start their friendship again as undergraduates

While in Dublin, the characters pass by the haunts of literary greats, walk along the cobbled streets of Temple Bar and visit the popular student hangout, Blackbird pub. Dublin was also used for some of the scenes set in Italy and Sweden. The Hugh Lane Gallery doubled as the Guggenheim in Venice, while The Fumbally featured on screen when Marianne explores her new surroundings in Sweden.

Have any of our Community members ever visited any of these filming locations from Normal People?