Exit/Re-entry of Schengen Area via Ireland

Exit/Re-entry of Schengen Area via Ireland

Author
Posted Tue 16 Jun 2020 2:27 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Everyone,

I'm a Canadian planning to travel to France in July once the international border restrictions are lifted. However, during the time that I will be there, I have to exit the Schengen Zone to reset my 90 days allowed within the zone every 180 days. I last entered France on January 29th for 2 weeks, meaning the 180-day period will expire on July 29th. I have to leave the Schengen Zone in order for my 90 days to reset. 

I was thinking of coming to Ireland, which is not under the Schengen agreement, on July 29th for one night and returning to France on the 30th. I would just stay in an airport hotel for the night. Does anyone know if this is allowed at the moment with all of the COVID-19 restrictions in place? I'm wondering if the Irish Government would require me to self-isolate for 14 days within the country? Would I face troubles with immigration?

I know it's a bit of an odd and tricky situation. Hopefully someone can give me some guidance.

Thanks in advance!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Jun 2020 8:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Palita,

Many thanks for your question, I hope that everything with you is okay in these strange times for traveling!

There is as you mention the 14-day quarantine period for international travelers going to the Republic of Ireland where you are required to self-isolate and fill in a passenger locator form prior to arrival, please have a look at our traveler health page for links to information we have on the official websites.

The Health Service Executive (HSE) has a page on travel where you will be able to find a reference to self-isolation and the passenger locator form which you will need to fill in as you will be in the State overnight. Wherever you stay overnight, you will need to avoid contact with others, please have a look at our approved accommodation search page for detail of hotels at Dublin airport. We would suggest contacting them to see if they are open and the facilities available to you when self-isolating. You will need an accommodation address prior to arriving for the locator form and you are not required to stay for 14 days. 

I hope this helps and that you can continue your time in the Schengen Zone and maybe, when self-isolation is no longer required, come back and see all the we have to offer! :)

Safe travels