Looking for my roots

Looking for my roots

Author
Posted Wed 1 Jul 2020 10:08 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi there! Ever since I was little, I have heard that I have Irish blood, but never got any proof of that, it's suppose to be on my dad's side. My step brother took this DNA test and he got some results back. We have the same dad. So, according to that information they found a woman in Dublin. I don't know more than that. Is there an easy way to figure out my Irish roots?
By the way I'm Swedish 😊🍀
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Jul 2020 11:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Anna, 

Welcome to the family! I'm so happy to see that you've got DNA evidence to confirm the family stories about your Irish roots. :) 

Since you now have this proof of your Irish ancestry, it is a great place to start your research. The Community has lots of helpful members, experts and threads that can be of help and answer any questions you may have. 

In this case, there are two ways to find out more about your ancestry. The first option is to dive into the archives, starting with your dad's side of the family, and working your way back until you find the ancestor that came from Ireland. There is a helpful thread on the Community called 'Starting your Genealogy Journey' which shows you how to begin your research. 

The other option is DNA testing. A DNA test can definitely help you fill in gaps in your family tree, pinpoint a location or determine if someone with the same surname is directly related to you, but DNA tests won't give you the information you need to fill out your entire family tree. 

There is also an organization called Ireland Reaching Out, where great volunteers attempt to connect Irish descendants to their roots, through reverse genealogical research. You are more than welcome to reach out to them as well! 

I hope this was helpful, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give me a shout! :) 

Wishing you the best of luck on your search,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Jul 2020 11:29 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Melin

Thank you 😊. Well I'm not sure yet if that DNA is also about me as we don't have The same Mother but it could be our dad. So, thank you, i Will try to contact that people you suggested or and in The future make an DNA test myself we Will see.

Thank you 😊 🍀

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Jul 2020 1:32 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Anna, 

That's a great place to start! I hope you might get more tips from our other members and experts as well, and keep us posted on your findings. I'd love to hear about what you're able to uncover! :)

💚

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Jul 2020 2:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Sure 🍀🍀🍀🍀👌😊 thx!