Deadend for finding family in Ireland

Deadend for finding family in Ireland

Author
Posted Mon 6 Jul 2020 6:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello,
My 3rd Great Grandfather Michael Fenney and his son Thomas arrived in the US July 4th 1858. To the best of my knowledge Michaels wife did not come with them her name was Mary Larkin (unsure of correct spelling in Ireland), because she passed away. The family story is that our last name Fenney started with a Ph when they lived in Ireland again I have no hard proof of this either. According to Michael grave stone he was born in Ireland in 1818, Thomas was born in Ireland Dec 24, 1844 give or take a day/year or two. According to Thomas's US military records (which is slightly mis-leading) in Eyrecourt, County of Galway. These papers also mention 12-25-1845 as his birth date and mentions Durry County Gaulway.

If there is anyway that I could find out more information it would so be appreciated. As I am not sure how else to proceed,

Thank you
Doreen Fenney-Renken
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Jul 2020 11:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Doreen

As you will have to rely on church registers to confirm birth details of Michael Fenney c. 1818 and his son Thomas c. 1844 and marriage of Michael Fenney to Mary Larkin it would make sense to start with a search of RC registers for Eyrecourt, County Galway, i.e. parish of Clonfert, Meelick and Eyrecourt.

I see, according to RootsIreland.ie website East Galway Family History Society (https://www.rootsireland.ie/galwayeast/ ) have transcribed and computerised baptismal registers dating from 1884 and marriage registers dating from 1810 for this parish. It would, therefore, make sense to confirm if baptismal registers for Clonfert, Meelick & Eyrecourt survive prior to 1884 and, if so, where can they be examined. 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 8 Jul 2020 9:37 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Doreen,

Many thanks for joining us here with your quest for more information on your 3rd Great Grandfather Michael and his son Thomas!

Big thanks as always to Brian for his tips on how to confirm the different records and locations so that you can accurately chart the course of events.

The Diocese of Clonfert, Meelick & Eyrecourt has a website which may be of interest, you will be able to find their contact details there too.

IrelandXO reaching out also have a website that you may consider joining, they has some current members for the Clonfert, Meelick & Eyrecourt parishes and I'm sure they will help as much as they can with your search.

Please let us know how you get on, we would love to see if there are any further links to the area.

Martin