A Surprise Trip To Belfast

A Surprise Trip To Belfast

Author
Posted Fri 10 Jul 2020 3:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello everyone!
I recently started a blog at heatherandroses.com (feel free to check it out!) that focuses on the amazing adventures I've been on, the mountains of books I read and everything in between.
In January, my dad took me on a surprise trip to Belfast for my 21st birthday and I loved it so much I just had to write my first tavel blog about our time there. It would be amazing if you gave it a read: A Surprise Trip To Belfast
What 's your Belfast highlight? Where else in Ireland should be on my bucketlist?

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 11 Jul 2020 1:32 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (776 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hello Heather!

I just read your post on your Belfast surprise trip and I absolutely loved it! I would say my favorite place in Belfast is the Titanic Belfast mostly because I find the whole interactive experience fascinating. However, I would agree with you when you say it could have gone further on some personal stories during the voyage. 

I also love Belfast Castle, not only because of the castle itself but also because it probably has the best view of the city. Did you get to visit it on your trip? 

David

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Jul 2020 11:27 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi David!
Thank you so much for giving it a read, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't get a chance to visit the castle but that sounds really great. I'll definitely put it on my list of things to do when I visit again (hopefully soon!).
Heather
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Jul 2020 2:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Heather, 

I loved reading about and seeing the wonderful pictures from your surprise trip to Belfast. What an amazing birthday present! :) 

It does indeed look like you had some cold weather, but I'm glad it was dry. Like David mentioned, if you get the chance next time, make sure to go up to Belfast Castle and Cave Hill. It's a lovely hike, and you get an amazing view of the city from up the mountain. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed Crumlin Road Gaol as well, as it's one of my favourite places in the city too. I hope I get to go on one of their Halloween tours in the future. Apparently they have a few 'house ghosts', and one of them resides in the tunnel you mentioned.👻 

Is there anything else in the city you'd like to see during a possible future trip? There are also a lot of lovely places just outside of the city, like for example Belvoir Forest Park. I've added a picture of the beautiful meadow there, and highly recommend it for a stroll during the warmer months. :) 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/13-07-2020/efd1e9b1-a29e-441f-8337-1094.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Jul 2020 11:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin,
Thank you for giving my post a read! 
I remember our tour guide telling us about the ghost in the Crumlin Road Gaol tunnel - terrifying!
As I said in the blog, next time I go back I'd love to do another history tour but I'd also llove to visit the C. S. Lewis Square (I'm a huge bookworm!) as I've heard that's a must-see literary spot. Any other literary highlights would be right up my street, too! 
Belvoir Forest Park looks stunning!
Thanks,
Heather
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Jul 2020 2:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Heather, 

That's great! I'm sure you'll love the C.S. Lewis Square! 💚 

Definitely visit the Linen Hall Library next to City Hall as well. It's Belfast's oldest library (built in 1788), and you can have a warm drink in the cafe while enjoying the atmosphere and the smell of all of the old books. Their walking tours are also definitely worth it!

I personally haven't been yet, but I hope to visit Seamus Heaney's Homeplace in Magherafelt in the near future. It's about a 40-minute drive from Belfast and looks like a wonderful experience. 

If you ever need any tips for a future trip, the Community is always here to lend a hand. 😊
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Jul 2020 7:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks, Melin!

They sound great, I'll put them on my list for next time I visit.