Refused to book because not living in Ireland.

Refused to book because not living in Ireland.

Author
Posted Mon 13 Jul 2020 4:24 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello,

I am planning a trip for next month (towards end of August) and I am booking some places where to spend the nights at.
I have been able to book a few but I got in touch with a lady that asked me where I was coming from as per her words:

"I need to know where you are coming from because with the current situation i am only happy to keep people that are not travelling from outside of Ireland. "

I do understand as the current measures advise against foreign travel plus the quarantine measures in place at the moment but I think that this should not be impacting a booking process as long as I commit to respect the rules (currently in place) and also the likelihood of these measures to be lifted by then.

My question is therefore this one.. can I be "discriminated" for this? Does the department of tourism of Ireland allow owners of hotels/bnb/apartments to make their own choice on who can stay and who can't purely on the basis of where they are travelling from?

I might be coming from America or Spain or United Kingdom but as long as I respect the 14 days quarantine measures plus the precautions and what is the law I don't see why I should be refused to stay overnight at someones place.

If that's not allowed what should I do? I really would like to report this to who's in charge...

Thank you for clarification.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Jul 2020 3:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Matteo,

During this uncertain time, it can be hard for everyone to know what is happening.

I just wanted to let you know that we are looking into your question as we want to make sure we review all the information for you.
As soon as we have more details and clarification, we will make sure to come back to you.  

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 18 Jul 2020 10:37 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello, Matteo,

If I may reply as a fellow traveler who has many friends in Ireland, I can share with you that there is a real concern regarding visitors from outside the country. I have friends who own a really lovely and successful B&B who will not be opening anytime soon due to their risk group (>70 years old) and also the fact that their daughter who helps out quite a lot has a 3-month old infant. This is not so much an issue of discrimination as it is personal concern, especially (I would think) if guests are quartered in the same dwelling as the hosts.

The cautious hostess may also be taking into consideration the international guests who have chosen to ignore the restrictions. I am embarrassed by the stories I read of Americans doing this.

At this point, I have doubts whether the 14-day quarantine will be lifted any time soon for American and UK travelers alike. Although I will be going to Ireland in August, I have booked a self-catering cottage where I will happily escape from the world for 7 days. I don't plan on visiting friends or going horseback riding as I do every year, and that's okay for me. But if your intent is to tour Ireland, which is what it sounds like if you are booking multiple accommodations, please reconsider another time when you can fully benefit from the lovely hospitality and amazing activities that Ireland has to offer.

With best regards!