Looking for family roots

Looking for family roots

Author
Posted Wed 15 Jul 2020 7:33 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
This is what I believe to be accurate. Mathew Griffith born about 1813 Cavan county was married to Martha Bird (burd) B:1823 in Ireland and emigrated to Ontario, Canada and lived in York County. I believe these children were born in Ireland according to Ontario census taken in 1851. James, Elizabeth, Margaret, Mary & Frances. Hopefully someone will be able to provide more information. I have no information on their parents.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Jul 2020 12:29 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (774 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hi James,

It is fantastic that you are researching your Griffith ancestors! It is also very helpful that you already know where they came from.

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records; while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. In your case, the genealogical centre would be the Cavan Genealogy Centre.

Because you know the place they were born at, you can also search the Church records on the Irish Genealogy website.

Have you been in touch with the Cavan Genealogy Centre yet? 

I hope this is helpful, please let us know how the search goes.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Jul 2020 6:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi James

I see that the tithe applotment books, which are in effect a rural census of Ireland for the 1830s, which can be searched free of charge at http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp  records 14 Griffith households in County Cavan in the time period 1831-1833: 9 in Drumgoon parish; 3 in Castlerahan parish, 1 in Castleterra parish and 1 in Killashandra parish.

However, it must be said as this source only names head of household it provides insufficient information to confirm the nature of the link between any of these Griffith households and your Mathew Griffith who was born c. 1813. However it is possible, but not proven, that one of these householders is the father of your Mathew. 

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Jul 2020 7:49 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you Brian for the information!