Driving In Ireland

Driving In Ireland

Author
Posted Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:05 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi There,

I am sure you are asked this all the time.

What documents do i need to bring to drive in Ireland from the UK i have a full UK driving License?

Many thanks

Gordon 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:26 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (774 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hello Gordon!

To drive in Ireland, you will need to have an International driver's license or an Irish license. Also, you will need to get motor insurance. On the Travel by Road site, you will find more information about driving on the island.

Let me know if this is useful. Have a great day!

David

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 1 Sep 2020 6:05 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 10
India
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 5 Oct 2021 7:42 PM Visits: 131
If you are a resident of the US, Canada orthe European Union and you have a valid driver's license, then you will be able to drive in Ireland. Drivers from other countries will need to obtain an International Driver's License, but American licenses are automatically valid on the Emerald Isle. (Just check with the rental car company to see if they have any other restrictions, like a minimum age).

Documents required for driving in:
  • Valid US, Canadian, or EU driver's license (required)
  • Passport (required, if your driver's license does not have a photo)
  • International driver's license (optional for US, Canadian and EU drivers, required for others)
  • Vehicle registration document (V5)(required)
  • A contract from the rental car company or a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive, if the car is not registered in your name (required)
  • Proof of third-party insurance (required)
  • First aid kit and visibility vest (recommended)