Advice on travel - please

Advice on travel - please

Author
Posted Thu 23 Jul 2020 9:06 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi.  Hoping for some advice regarding the CTA.
I have booked a ferry from UK to Ireland for early August, however the news yesterday suggested we would have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.  However, the same advice says that you do not need to self isolate if travelling across the border from NI.
My question is, can I change my ferry across to sail into Belfast and then head to our destination (Co. Clare), and keep the return ferry, Rosslare to Pembroke, as it is?
Or, I guess another question, is there any chance the Irish Govt will relax the quarantine rules in the next couple of weeks?

We are travelling to my parents' home, should that make a difference to the guidance

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 23 Jul 2020 5:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Paul, 

As the situation is ever-changing, it can be hard to understand how it could impact your holiday. 

The reason for the 'self-isolation' requirement from the Irish Government is, of course, to safeguard public health.
Therefore it wouldn't be an additional public health benefit if you travel via Belfast, as you would still be coming from off the Island of Ireland.
Based on this, I wouldn't recommend putting yourself to the additional effort of taking the longer round-trip. 

In essence though, the expectation is that you would self-isolate by restricting your movements for 14 days upon your arrival. So perhaps the best approach is to look at what you can do at your parent's place, or in the immediate vicinity that keeps contact with other people to a minimum. 
Furthermore, know that in the interests of their staff and other customers, some tourism businesses may ask that you don't use their services if you've arrived within the previous 14 days. 

Another recommendation I would have for you is to download the Irish COVID-tracker app for the period of your stay. It'll help with notifying people if you or anyone you have proximity to subsequently get diagnosed.
As you are planning your trip for next month, please make sure to keep an eye on the latest information regarding the regulations here.

All of this is not ideal aand not what we'd wish for your holiday here. 
Let us know if you would like some help on finding things to do during your stay with reduced contact with others, though I am sure your family may also have plenty of recommendations for you. 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 23 Jul 2020 6:40 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Elodie, thanks for your reply.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the definition of 'self-isolation'. Is the official guidance that you can still go out in the vicinity of the address?
My parents' home is West Clare so we only ever travel as far south as Kilrush for shopping or up to Lahinch beach for the day; and maybe one or two meals out.  I have 2 young children so visits to pubs and clubs are non-existent! 
Any other suggestions you have for that area would be great, oh, and thank for the advice on the tracker - will definitely do that.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Paul,

The self-isolation is really about avoiding any contact with others, including visits to shops or any indoor places.
The good thing with County Clare is that you can do a lot outdoors, avoiding crowds and isolating while enjoying some fantastic views and Irish history. You may want to avoid peak time to avoid meeting others again during your outdoor walks and activities. Using our search tool, you can easily find safe outdoor activity ideas for you and your family. You can also use the map view to stay close by your parent's home. 
You mentioned Lahinch beach, which is a great activity idea in particular with kids. Just remember to be vigilant and aware that you may have to change your plan if the beach is busy.

I know too well the absence of pub and club visits because of the wee ones. 😀
Regarding the restaurants, unfortunately, this will be best to avoid. That said, you have a lot of restaurants who are now offering takeaways in response to the new circumstances so you could still enjoy a local meal while at home.