Passport travel to Ireland

Passport travel to Ireland

Author
Posted Thu 30 Jul 2020 4:23 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello Everyone. 

I wanted to ask the community a question regarding travel to Ireland for my wife. I am an Irish citizen but my wife is Spanish and holds a Spanish passport. We currently reside in the UK but I will soon be travelling to Ireland for work. My wife intends to come with me. However, we have discovered she has approximately 3 weeks remaining on her passport from our intended travel date. 

I wanted to ask the group is anyone know if Ireland allows people to enter with less than 6 months remaining on their passports and likewise if the UK allows people to re-enter the UK under the same circumstances. 

I have contacted the Irish embassy regarding this but haven't heard back and would appreciate any information and/or advice. 

Thank you. 

Garry
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 31 Jul 2020 1:06 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Garry,

How exciting that you'll be working here on the island, and even more so that your wife is able to accompany you! 

Thinking of your passport questions, I can share that while your passport must be valid up to the return date of your trip to Ireland, we strongly recommend validity for six months after your arrival date.  You've surely done the right thing in reaching out to the Irish embassy as they can best respond to more detailed questions.

In regards to the UK passport question, can some of our Community members offer their input?  

Best wishes with your work, Garry!

Sionainn 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 31 Jul 2020 10:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Sionainn, 

Thank you for your advice. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query.

If anyone else has any advice regarding re-entering the UK under the same circumstances as outlined above, please let me know. 

Thank you.  

Garry
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 3 Aug 2020 9:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Garry,

The whole passport validity question can get a bit tricky as each case is quite specific. The normal reason for the duration of 90 days is in case something happens and you are unable to return home due to illness or quarantine such as may happen during this Pandemic.

As your wife holds a Spanish passport, it has to be valid for when she returns to the UK. Please take a look at the UK government website on Entering the UK for some information.

Just to be on the safe side, has she tried to fast track her passport renewal, maybe the Spanish Embassy could advise too?

Martin