Meet my Great-Grandparents...Are we related???

Meet my Great-Grandparents...Are we related???

Author
Posted Mon 17 Aug 2020 1:52 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Do they look familiar to anyone ???

This was taken in South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA circa 1900. I believe their last names are Reynolds/Murphy or Duffy/Cummings?? They arrived in Philadelphia about 1890.

I believe ...Duffy's were from County Donegal. ...Reynolds may be County Armargh.https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/17-08-2020/2ffbe11f-1edd-4be0-9ace-de7a.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Aug 2020 3:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Dave, 

It's great to see you've found your way to the Community! :) Thank you for posting your picture here as well, and I hope you'll be able to find out more this way. 

Have you ever done any research into the records here on the island? Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and all of the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres.

In 1864 civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), to this day. 

You can also search through the Church records and Civil records on the Irish Genealogy website (free of charge). 

I hope this was helpful, and keep us posted on your findings. 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Aug 2020 3:45 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank You Melin!

I am beginning my Irish journey now. I am really excited and I appreciate the research websites. Will post anything I find. I am going to start with the Duffy's (Stranolar, Donegal).

Wish me Luck! 
 Dave
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Aug 2020 3:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
That's great! The Community is filled with people who are here to help, so please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything else you'd like to know. :)

I wish you the best of luck on your search! 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 23 Oct 2021 11:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 24 Oct 2021 11:23 AM Visits: 19
Hi Dave!
We could well be related, but we don't share GGPs.  Mine were William Duffy and Ann Collins, who moved to Glasgow at some point and had their son Hugh in 1875.  By the 1881 Census, Ann was a widow, and no other record of William has been found.  Ann gives her birthplace as Letterkenny.  And that's as far back as I've got - though I have also heard that many Duffys came from Donegal.
Good luck to you!
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 23 Oct 2021 11:56 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 25 Oct 2021 3:12 PM Visits: 5
Hello Annemarie,

Thanks for responding!! I haven't found a William in my direct line but maybe a sibling of someone. I will send you what I know and see if you recognize anything. I am located in Pennsylvania, USA. It is currently 7:55 pm here. Let me know when it is best to send something.

Dave

Attachments
Ancestry DUFFY Tree.pdf (469 views, 87.00 KB)
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Oct 2021 12:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hello Dave and Annemarie,

How wonderful that you have connected on the forum. We're keeping our fingers crossed for your combined research to shed more light on your Irish ancestries. Wouldn't it be amazing if you found out you were related?

Please do keep us updated! 

Kind regards,

Vera
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 May 2023 6:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 5
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 2 Apr 2024 5:55 PM Visits: 93
So fascinating to see connections like this being made, just as Vera said. 🤩 I can't help but think how this story ended.. ☘️