UK visa with BIVS to visit Ireland

UK visa with BIVS to visit Ireland

Author
Posted Mon 17 Aug 2020 9:32 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi, I have a valid UK visa, and been to the UK last year, and I plan to go to Ireland this year and directly from my home country instead of transiting from the UK, is it permitted?
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Aug 2020 1:36 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (774 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hello 琢 宋,

It's great to hear you are planning to come to Ireland!

Unfortunately, as of now, non-essential travel is still strongly advised against. Additionally, the 14-day isolation is still in effect for most countries. This restriction could still be in effect for the time you are planning to travel. On the Ireland Government Site, you will find more information about this measure and the list of countries that do not require to self-isolate when coming to Ireland, which is updated every two weeks. 

Regarding your visa, if it has BIVS (British-Irish Visa Scheme) marked on it, you will only be allowed to travel to Ireland by first landing in the UK. Here is more information on the British-Irish Visa Scheme.

We hope to be able to welcome you very soon. Let me know if this was useful.

Best,

David
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Aug 2020 4:16 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you. But in some understanding, if someone been to the UK through that visa before, even that person is in other countries now, he still will be allowed to enter Ireland bypassing the UK.  

But, it is said, should be in the period of 180 days, it seems that I already exceeded the one time max days, looks like I am not allowed now, but if I can do that in 180 days, I can go to Ireland without considering entering the UK first.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Aug 2020 8:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
The visa is indeed valid for 180 days from entry into the UK the first time so it may well have expired. If it is a UK BIVS visa you must enter the UK first as this is the issuing country.

If you wish to enter Ireland directly, please check to see if you require a visa as this depends on your nationality and passport origin and if necessary apply for an Irish Visa.

We hope this helps and you can come over and see us sometime in the future when non-essential international travel resumes.

Stay safe!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Aug 2020 10:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank you.

If I go to UK, they will ask for a quarantine for a couple of days, but if I go to Ireland, it is no quarantine requirement, that is why I will try to go to Ireland for a while, but I will look and see when they will suggest to travel, do not worry, I will not make other people worry about things, lol.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:19 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (774 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hopefully, the current situation gets better soon so that you will be able to travel to Ireland again.

I recommend you to continue visiting the Ireland Government Site and the Traveller's Health site often as these have the most updated information on the measures taken and advice on travelling to the island. 

Have a great day and stay safe!

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 28 Sep 2020 6:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello,

I was asked to go back from the UK airport and wasn't allowed to board the Ireland flight. The airline referred to this article which says BIVS service is currently suspended : http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PR20000007

Do you have any idea when this will be resumed
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 28 Sep 2020 11:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you very much, Barania,  your update is very important to me, I am planning to go to Ireland and just waiting for the situation, it seems that it is not possible if the government just stopped the visa programme.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Sep 2020 12:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
I'm so sorry to hear you weren't able to board your flight, Kanishka! 

The Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme for Ireland has indeed been temporarily suspended because of the current situation worldwide. At the moment we can't really tell when this temporary suspension will end, but I hope it's soon! 

Thank you, 琢 宋, for your suggestion! :) In this case, the best idea is to wait for more news and updates surrounding the situation. Make sure to keep a close eye on the official channels for news. 

I hope there's a positive change soon, and please don't hesitate to send me a message if you have any questions. 

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Oct 2020 8:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi members,

"Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme" is different from the "BIVS" program in my understanding. Shouldn't the Visa stamped as BVIS have been allowed to go from the UK to Ireland?

Thanks,