UK visa with BIVS to visit Ireland

UK visa with BIVS to visit Ireland

Author
Posted Fri 23 Oct 2020 9:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Rajeev,

Many thanks for your question!

The BIVS stamp is indeed added to a visa application when requested to enable travel to and around the Common Travel Area (CTA) on a single visa after the first entry to the issuing country.

However, and this is the technical bit, the suspension of the Programme is being implemented because of a divergence in approach between Ireland and the UK in travel measures to combat the pandemic. Nationals of the affected countries will no longer be in a position to use their UK short-stay visa for a visit to Ireland but may apply separately for an Irish visa, which under current circumstances would only be accepted if it was a critical case.

It must be emphasised that this is a temporary measure, which does not affect the Common Travel Area rights of British and Irish citizens or the operation of the CTA.

We hope this explains the slight temporary change in position.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Jul 2021 1:40 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 21 Jul 2021 3:03 PM Visits: 4
Hello  everyone
I read all of your answers, it's very helpful. I saw the news, Ireland has opened for international travel now. Does it mean BIVS work now? Thank you 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Jul 2021 2:01 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 21 Jul 2021 7:26 PM Visits: 3
I have a Chinese friend who booked a ticket to fly from UK to Ireland a month ago, but she was now allowed to be on board the plane, and wasted her money, nowhere to complain or appeal.

Before you travel, check with your airline companies, you can also go to Ireland from NI for the land border, there are no controls, you can do that. But hope you have a valid ID to be allowed to go there.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Jul 2021 3:07 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 21 Jul 2021 3:03 PM Visits: 4
Thank you Song for your advice. Actually I used my BIVS visa this year February, immigration told me it didn't work this time. But fortunately, they finally let me in. This time, I will check every information before go, I will share my information later too. Thanks. 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Jul 2021 6:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Anne,

It is great to hear you were able to successfully use your BIVS visa this past February. The most recent update regarding short stay visas can be found on the Department of Justice website. There is a link there where you can check if you need a visa and plan your journey accordingly.

If you need any further advice, it is best to reach out to the Visas Division directly as they will be in the best position to answer your query.

As Song mention, you want to make sure to check all information before booking to avoid disappointment. Regarding coming via Northern Ireland, please be aware that this is not recommended and the same rule applies regardless if you arrive directly to Ireland or transit via Northern Ireland.

Best,

Sean.