Where are the best food spots to try along the Causeway Coastal Route?

Where are the best food spots to try along the Causeway Coastal Route?...

Author
Posted Fri 4 Sep 2020 9:00 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (574 reputation)I'm hooked (574 reputation)I'm hooked (574 reputation)I'm hooked (574 reputation)I'm hooked (574 reputation)I'm hooked (574 reputation)I'm hooked (574 reputation)I'm hooked (574 reputation)I'm hooked (574 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Apr 2022 1:52 PM Visits: 248
If you love to eat well, you’re spoilt for choice along the Causeway Coastal Route. Here are just a few of our favourites.

When on the coast, you have to try out our seafood. Check out the Mourne Seafood Bar in Belfast – where the Causeway Coastal Route kicks off on its journey to the Walled City of Derry – with locally sourced fish and shellfish from their own shellfish beds on the menu. Make sure to indulge in some seafood chowder or lobster burger.

As you make your way up the coast, pop into Billy Andy’s Restaurant for a traditional Irish pub lunch. This restaurant in the middle of Larne has been around since the early 19th century, and has remained family-run ever since. Grab yourself a table by the peat fires and you’ll feel right at home.  

And who doesn’t love an afternoon tea experience? Ballygally Castle offers a luxurious afternoon tea with a great view as an added bonus. Plus, if you’re a Game of Thrones© fan (who isn’t?) then you’ll be happy to hear that it also offers a Game of Thrones© themed afternoon tea! You can munch away on wonderful themed treats from Jon Snow cakes to Baratheon Bread and Mini Dragon’s eggs.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/04-09-2020/2c7e2259-7cc0-4311-8268-ff99.jpg

Close to the Giant’s Causeway is the village of Bushmills. The Bushmills Inn is very popular, with all-day dining made from locally sourced ingredients. Or you could just pop into its Gas Bar for a refreshing beverage with a plate of oysters as a pre-dinner snack.

The French Rooms is a bit more of a quirky spot in Bushmills; the France-inspired restaurant is packed with elegant décor for a luxurious dining experience. If you park up the car, check out its vanilla ice-cream, which has been whipped with the famous Bushmills whiskey from the Old Bushmills Distillery just down the road!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/04-09-2020/e2f1f632-b6da-4f1f-a6f6-da7f.jpg

Perched right on Portstewart Strand is Harry’s Shack; a lovable little spot for a classic fish and chips. This sandy beach shack is adored for its fabulous menu filled with a variety of fresh fish straight off the Greencastle boat. 

Your last stop along the Causeway Coastal route has got to be the fun street-food restaurant, Pykes ‘N’ Pommes in Derry~Londonderry. It transformed an old shipping container and a double decker bus into a widely popular food spot, with mouth-watering wagyu beef burgers and fish tacos as some of its top dishes.  

Spectacular food and amazing scenery – what’s not to love? Have any of our Community members got favourite food spots that they think belong on this list?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/04-09-2020/bafecd37-02a1-42f5-bf13-dc8b.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 7 Sep 2020 3:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Thank you for those great suggestions Jesse!  It got me thinking about the variety and wealth of eating experiences we have in the Causeway Coast and Glens, so here are a few more.

There are a few artisan businesses in the region that are part of the Economusee network, producing high quality foods.  Visitors are welcomed to the premises where the producers talk them through the traditions, history and the story of their craft.  Local businesses include Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil, Ursa Minor Real Bread Bakehouse, Broughgammon Meats and North Coast Smoke House. 

On the second Saturday of every month the Causeway Speciality Market in Coleraine showcases a wide selection of foods produced in the region.  It is very popular with locals and visitors alike!

Portstewart is famous for its coffee shops and ice cream parlours along the Promenade.  The most famous one is Morelli's which has been making its award winning ice cream since 1911!

Portrush is a magnet for those who enjoy an excellent meal with a view overlooking the beautiful coastline or harbour.  There are quite a few restaurants to chose from in the popular seaside town.

Ballycastle is a lovely wee coastal town steeped in tradition.  You can get the freshest fish and chips down at the harbour at Morton's and there is an excellent choice of restaurants in the centre of the town consistently serving food of the highest quality; much of it sourced from local producers. 

If you would like to find out more about the towns and businesses mentioned, please visit our web site: www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com

We would love you to experience some of our culinary delights!
Anne