O`Sullivan/Sullivan help please?

O`Sullivan/Sullivan help please?

Author
Posted Fri 11 Sep 2020 3:29 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have been trying to find the connection with my gr gr grandfather... John Andrew Sullivan, born around Co. Cork in 1847... he married my gr gr grandmother in Ireland, at Allihies Parish, but when I search, it says there is no Parish by that name. I`m running into roadblocks at every turn... Help, please!!!
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 11 Sep 2020 3:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Sandra, 

I'd love to see what I can do to help you find out more! 😊

Where have you been looking so far? On the Catholic Parish Registers page I was able to find Allihies Parish in the Diocese of Kerry in County Cork. On that page, you can also browse through the microfilms that are available. 

Another helpful tool is the Irish Genealogy page, where you can search through the available Church records, as well as the Civil records (all the records after 1864). There are quite a lot of search results for John Sullivan around that time. Do you happen to know the names of his parents or perhaps his siblings? 

You mentioned your Great Great Grandparents getting married in Allihies Parish. Do you know what year they got married, and the name of your Great Great Grandmother? This will make it easier for you to search through the records.

I hope this was helpful, and hopefully, some of our expert members will be able to help out as well.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 11 Sep 2020 3:58 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you. His name is such a normal name that, I run into blocks a lot...I`ll keep looking, Thanks again!
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 11 Sep 2020 4:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Sandra, 

It is a common name indeed, but hopefully, you'll be able to find out more! This article about Irish naming and baptism traditions might come in handy during your search. 

Keep us posted on your findings, and the Community is always here if you need any help. 

Wishing you the best of luck! ☘️