Hoping to find family roots

Hoping to find family roots

Author
Posted Fri 9 Oct 2020 3:39 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi I’m really interested in finding my family roots, I have been told they originate from Ireland. The family name is Mellett 
thanks
dave 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Oct 2020 5:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Dave, 

It's great that you're interested in finding out more about your roots! I'd love to see what I can do to point you in the right direction. :)

What have you been able to find out so far, and do you have any names or dates from ancestors with a connection to the Emerald Isle?
If you don't have any information yet, you can start by gathering as many documents as you can from your local registry office and archives, starting with your own birth certificate and then adding those of your parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents etc. until you come across your first ancestors who were not born in the same country as you, but rather, in Ireland.

The name Mellett has it's origins in England, but as we can see in Griffith's Valuation map, there were 9 households in total in County Mayo and Galway. 

Family stories are super helpful, as there is usually a lot of truth in them. Do you have any idea where on the island your ancestors could have been from? 

If you have any questions, I'm always happy to help! :) 

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 10 Oct 2020 8:18 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Melin
Thank You so much for your speedy response 

I’m going to start looking properly, I’ve been told many times by grandparents and great uncles and aunts that the family originated county Mayo and through this site I have come across the Mellett emporium in mayo that’s stood for years I can’t wait to visit 
Kind Regards 
Dave 

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 10 Oct 2020 12:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi David, 

That's such wonderful news! It sounds like you're on the right track, and I hope you get to visit the area your ancestors were from in the future. 

In the meantime, if there is anything you need or anything else you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to get in touch. 

I'd love to hear what else you might discover, so keep us all posted on your findings! :)

Wishing you the best of luck, 

Melin