Author
Posted Mon 12 Oct 2020 10:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (696 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 7 Jul 2021 3:06 PM Visits: 75
Hi Community,
I'm just now starting to plan our trip to Ireland for August-September 2021. We'll start in southern Germany, head through France to Cherbourg and then go from Dublin to Galway first. We plan to travel the northern half of the Wild Atlantic Way, starting in Galway and ending in Dublin. We will travel with a quite big camper (7,30m length, 2,20m width).
When we did the southern portion in 2019 with a similar camper we had to avoid the Goats Path Road (Kilcrohane) and the Skellig Coast Ring because of the size of our vehicle. To help me with my planning now I would like to know if there are any similar roads or road sections in the WAW northern half which are too small and which we would have to avoid.
Also if you have any  tip for a special location we should absolutely visit - any suggestion is more than welcome. Thanks already in advance,
Martina

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Oct 2020 7:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 6 Mar 2024 1:16 PM Visits: 9.4K
Hello Martina,

How lovely to hear that you're coming for another visit to our green isle. I really hope that this holiday will be exactly how you imagine it – maybe even better! 🎶 🎻

In regarding of places to visit on the Wild Atlantic Way I would suggest our National & Wildlife Parks. It’s a truly amazing experience to explore some of our most beautiful areas in Glenveagh, Killarney and Wicklow National Parks -both day and night! Although roads have improved and new motorways built between major population centres, you will find that once you leave motorways and national primary roads (which you will) smaller roads might not be easily accessible with a vehicle of that size. 🚐

While the road in the video is exceptional – and well worth driving for the amazing views and the adrenaline rush – there are lots of winding roads, where you have little to no idea of what’s around the next bend. Be vigilant for signs – if you are on an already winding road and there is a sign warning of bendy roads ahead, it's an indication that they will be smaller roads.

I am sure that many of our other members will have some amazing ideas to share with you also when it comes to the streets to avoid. 

Have you thought about where in particular you would like to visit Ireland? 🏰 🐑                      
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 13 Oct 2020 8:06 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Hi Zoey,
thanks for your reply. Well as I already mentioned we plan to drive the WAW north starting in Galway all the way round the northern coast into North Ireland past Belfast and back to Dublin. So I am mostly asking if there are any roads especially along the west and northwest coast and those portions of the WAW which are clearly too narrow for us to use.
Kind regards,
Martina

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 13 Oct 2020 9:33 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 16 Apr 2024 11:23 PM Visits: 25.4K
Hey Martina! 

All roads are generally wide enough that a fire truck can pass them. So as long as you stay on regular roads with your motorhome you will be fine, even if you might need to manoeuvre a little bit if somebody happens to pass you. With 2.30m in width, you should be good to go through. 😊

Our dear Martin recently linked several existing threads regarding traveling with a motorhome and I hope that it will be useful for you as well. I'd also like to wish you a wonderful trip. Let me know if you have any further questions, Martina! ☘

Kind regards,
Lenny 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 13 Oct 2020 2:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Hi both,
thanks for your replies already. May I ask something a bit more detailed? Is it worthwhile leaving the WAW at Bundoran for a side trip to the Marble Arch Caves and then continue via Enniskillen along the North-East shore of Lower Lough Erne on to Laghey back on the WAW? And if yes what would be the best route to take with a camper? Via  Ballyshannong and Belleek or rather along Lough Melvin? Hoping that border crossing wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks already,
Martina

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 13 Oct 2020 5:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (1.5K reputation)Community Expert (1.5K reputation)Community Expert (1.5K reputation)Community Expert (1.5K reputation)Community Expert (1.5K reputation)Community Expert (1.5K reputation)Community Expert (1.5K reputation)Community Expert (1.5K reputation)Community Expert (1.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Tue 16 Apr 2024 4:56 PM Visits: 10.5K
Hi Martina, 

I am excited for you to explore the north of our green Island! ☘️

As Lenny mentioned above: Our roads are generally wide enough! 
The Marble Arch Caves are a breathtaking experience for everyone, who enjoys visiting historic adventures! If you like to visit the Caves you can take the A4 to Enniskillen and from there you can reach, with the A46, County Donegal. The road will then change later from A46 to N3 and will lead you to Ballyshannon.
Along the A46 is also a little Picnic Area (Ely Lodge Forest car park) with a lovely little forest walk, that will lead you to the Carrickreagh viewpoint in the Elylodge Forest. (Perfect, to stretch your legs and to have a little bite. 😊) It has a beautiful view over the water and forest. 

If you continue your holiday on the main roads (N- and R-road names) you shouldn't have any problems discovering the beauty of the north!

All the best, 
Cindy
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Oct 2020 12:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Hi again, and my question keep coming :)
How about the Slieve League Cliffs in Co. Donegal, can the main viewpoint be reached by road with our big camper? Or is that only accessible on foot? Have read contradicting information so far so I'm looking forward to your feedback,
Martina

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Oct 2020 2:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Martina, 

I'm happy to see what I can do to help you figure out your route by motorhome! :) There are two car parks on your way up to the Slieve League Cliffs, the main car park, and a smaller car park higher up and closer to the lookout point.

The main car park is easily accessible with a motorhome, and you'll also find restrooms and picnic tables there. From there on it's quite an intense hike up to the cliffs, which takes around 45 minutes to an hour. Make sure to wear proper walking/hiking boots and gear as it can be quite slippery on your way up. 

The other car park is smaller with limited parking space, so it's possible that people will park along the road when it's full. The road here is considerably smaller, and there is just about enough room for two normal cars to pass each other. With a motorhome, it will take some manoeuvering to make your way up this small and steep road. 

You'll find that the scenic roads are usually smaller, but you'll be able to explore the Wild Atlantic Way route just fine. I hope this was helpful, and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us here. 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Oct 2020 3:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Hi Melin, do you know if there is a view to the cliffs from the main parking area? I'll be travelling with some people not too well afoot.....
Thanks again,
Martina

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Oct 2020 3:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Martina, 

The area around the main car park is beautiful, but from there, unfortunately, you can't see the Slieve League Cliffs. Take a look at Google maps here to see what it looks like. 

Would it possibly be an idea to go on a guided tour of the cliffs to avoid the hike up to the viewing point? The tour guides have lots of knowledge as well, so it's a great way to learn more about the area and its history. If you'd like to know more about the options, feel free to reach out to Sliabh Liag Tours

There is also a boat tour, which is a wonderful and unique way to experience the cliffs, and you might even see some dolphins, whales and seals as well! Sliabh Liag Boat Tours offers these sightseeing trips by boat, and you can find more information here

If you have any questions or if you think of anything else, just give me a shout! :)