Where are the best places to go on guided mountain hikes?

Where are the best places to go on guided mountain hikes?

Author
Posted Fri 16 Oct 2020 9:19 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Apr 2022 1:52 PM Visits: 248
There’s no better reward after a mountain hike than the marvellous views you’ll get in return for your effort. Here are a few to get you started...

Fan of The Chronicles of Narnia? Well, CS Lewis’s inspiration for the magical land of Narnia actually came from County Down’s Mourne Mountains, and you’ll see why as you make your way past the unique landscapes and crystalline lakes. Take a tour with Walk The Mournes to find the best trails.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/16-10-2020/875c08c8-ed40-4d36-a134-a74b.jpg

Another gem is the Sperrin Mountains in Tyrone, adored for their wild and untouched beauty – though expect some seriously boggy ground where hiking boots are a necessity! The Sperrins & Killeter Walking Festival – usually held in September – is a fun way to experience the mountains as you hike along with like-minded people and knowledgeable guides.

Make your way through woodlands and waterfalls around the Slieve Bloom Mountains in County Laois in the company of a personal walk leader, who will take you on trails varying between 4km and 75km in length.

Some of the best hikes leave you looking down on the clouds and that’s where you’ll find yourself on top of the Comeragh Mountains in Waterford. The Muddy Boots touring group will guide you along the Coumshingaun Loop walk; a favourite hike for its gorgeous view of the Coumshingaun Corrie Lake.

Overlooking County Mayo is Ireland’s most spiritual mountain, Croagh Patrick, named in honour of Saint Patrick, Ireland’s patron saint. The mountain is scaled by thousands of pilgrims on the last Sunday of July, with a mass held in the summit’s chapel. Croagh Patrick Walking Holidays can lead you to the peak of this holy mountain. However, while some bravely climb barefoot on Reek Sunday, we certainly suggest sturdy pair boots as you make your way to the top.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/16-10-2020/f17e72ef-2335-4650-a377-3218.jpg

And last but not least, is the Carrauntoohil mountain, Ireland’s highest mountain set in County Kerry. This hike can take you up to 7 hours, yet for those feeling a little less confident, the Kerry Climbing guides are great companions to take you up this magnificent mountain while talking you through its history, geography and legends.

Are there any other spectacular mountains that some of our community members have had the chance to explore with a guide?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/16-10-2020/b71e3e88-cb4f-4bc8-a767-5c43.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Feb 2021 2:03 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hey,
Hiking in Ireland is probably one of the best activities you can do in the whole country.. what a great way to see the sights!
From Macgillycuddy's Reeks in County Kerry to the Mourne Mountains in County Down, there are so many great hikes to choose from that are all well signposted and easy to follow!
Here are the ten best hikes in Ireland if you're looking amazing scenery!
Happy hiking 😀
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Feb 2021 3:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Katrina, 

Thanks so much for sharing top ten hikes in Ireland with beautiful scenery! I can't wait to be able to travel again, as I'd love to explore all of them. I've hiked lots of the routes in the Mourne Mountains, as well as along the Causeway Coast, so I think Wicklow is up first on my list as soon as it is possible. :) 

Is there a route, in particular, that's your favourite? 

Thanks again for sharing! 

Melin