Not exactly on subject, but this was the closest...

Not exactly on subject, but this was the closest...

Author
Posted Tue 3 Nov 2020 8:54 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am wondering if someone could help me, In June of 2019 my wife of seen years passed away from cancer as our daughter was planning to move to Ireland with her fiance. Things were very hectic then and our daughter while she was able to attend the cremation, ws unable to attend the scattering of her mothers ashes and was unable to take a small portion with her when she and her fiance left for thier new life together. I am attempting to send her the small portion she wanted and approximately 3 months ago I sent the portion to her as a small parcel. I included some jewellry items that belonged to my wife I came across when packing up our home. She has not, to this date, recieved this parcel and I did not get a tracking number so Canada Post is unable to help. I had assumed that if there was any questions that Irish Customs might have tried to contact my daughter or myself to answer any questions but we have not had any questions or enquires made of us. It occoured to me that perhaps customs might had confiscated the parcel under the assumption that the two little jars might contain drugs and if it were me, I might think the same but then I would try to contact the sender (me) and ask what it was. thats just me. so my question is,, Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this kind of thing? if so could you steer me in the right direction to make sure our daughter gets this? I'm going to send another  portion to her very soon.   thanks for your time
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 Nov 2020 9:50 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Michael,

We are so sorry to hear of your very sad loss and understand how upsetting this has been for you and your family.

We are not sure how long a parcel would normally take to arrive from Canada, and especially during the current situation with the pandemic adding to the reduced workforce and increase in the parcel and postal traffic generally. I would suggest having a look at the Revenue Irish Tax and Customs website regarding How to locate goods arriving in Ireland as a possible starting point for all post and parcels arriving in the country. They also have a more general contacts page which you may find helpful too.

In addition, there is a page from An Post regarding prohibited and restricted items allowed to be sent by post, human ashes are on this restricted list so it may also work the same way for packages coming into the country.

Before you decide to send any further portions, I would suggest also having a look at the Revenue page on the Importation of Urns which may also lead to the necessary correct procedures in this case.

Once again, we are sorry for the loss and hope that you and your daughter are able to find the very important ashes and jewellery.