Island Camping

Island Camping

Author
Posted Thu 12 Nov 2020 1:55 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi, I'd love to camp on a remote island somewhere off of our beautiful coast. I had considered Great Saltee Island off Wexford but camping here is not permitted at any time. I was hoping someone would have some suggestions for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Nov 2020 10:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Niall,

It's great to hear that you are looking to camp out on one of the many islands of Ireland! 🏝️

While wild camping isn't encouraged in the majority of locations, the Aran Islands is one of the places that has campsite facilities which may be of interest. We already have a post on Camping: Aran Islands that has some very helpful information. 🏕️

There is also a place on Cape Clear, Co Cork, please have a look at our approved accommodation search page for details. I have selected Caravan and Camping and Cape Clear to get you started, feel free to change the location using the drop-down menu to find other locations if available.

Hopefully, when the current travel restrictions are lifted you will be able to find somewhere around the island of Ireland to try! ☘️
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 1:45 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thanks Martin, appreciate the information! 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Nov 2020 5:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Niall, 

Keep us posted on your plans, we'd love to see and hear more about your camping adventures along the coast.

For more campsites on the island, you can take a look on this page as well. The map option is super handy to find the right location. 

Another option would be Wicklow. With permission of the forest ranger, you'll be allocated a wild camping spot in the Wicklow Mountains. It's not along the coast, but still a beautiful location to camp. :) Take a look at this thread here for more info. 

If there's anything you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're only a message away! 

Melin