Car hire questions for my trip in 2021

Car hire questions for my trip in 2021

Author

Posted Sun 29 Nov 2020 4:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 16 Aug 2021 8:52 PM Visits: 26
I have read a few prior conversations about this but I just wanted to make sure the same holds true now so that I can be fully prepared when we do travel there.   

If I am from the United States, then my valid driver's license from the state I live in should be sufficient and I don't need to obtain an International drivers license/permit, correct?    Also, on renting the car, I was told that if I did a car hire and purchased the CDW and Third Party liability through the rental company and did a separate insurance through say icarhireinsurance.com  for much cheaper for the excess, that I wouldn't have to do the hold on my credit card through the rental company. Is that true?   I have one card I use and if I were to put a hold on it while I am there, then it will hinder our trip significantly and my debit card does not allow purchases from out of the US.    

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 29 Nov 2020 4:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Thanks for taking the time to post your question about car rental with us.

You are correct when you say that your USA state driving license is sufficient, you don't need an international permit to rent a car and drive on the island of Ireland!

With regards to the insurance, there is no hard and fast rule about the extra cover, we would suggest that you contact individual rental companies and ask them specifically as their terms and conditions vary. Some have the option for extra cover payable in advance and therefore cleared before you arrive. A credit card is required at the time of renting along with the valid licenses of all drivers.

The Car Rental Council of Ireland also has a website with some information and contact details.

Hopefully, you can find all the correct details you need, when are you planning on visiting the island of Ireland?

Profile Picture

Posted Sun 29 Nov 2020 6:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 16 Aug 2021 8:52 PM Visits: 26
Thank you for the information. It will be helpful.  We will be coming  September into October of 2021. It my 50th birthday gift to myself although by birthday is in January. : )   All my life, the one place I have always wanted to visit was Ireland. Its like my heritage is calling me there. Sounds crazy, but no other way to explain it.   
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 30 Nov 2020 11:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply, and you've chosen a lovely time of year for a visit.

This sounds like the best 50th birthday present ever, and I'm so happy you feel such a connection to the island! This doesn't sound crazy at all, and it's very exciting to hear about your roots. Where on the island are your ancestors from, and are you thinking of doing some research while you're here as well? We have a whole Genealogy section if you ever need some help. 

If you need any other tips or recommendations, we're only a message away, so please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. You can keep an eye on all the developments surrounding Covid-19 and travelling to the island here as well. 

Happy planning! :) 

Melin