Need info regarding destination idea for trip to Ireland

Need info regarding destination idea for trip to Ireland

Author
Posted Tue 8 Dec 2020 4:26 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Greetings, all. My wife and I are planning a post-COVID trip to Ireland. One destination idea we have is to visit the area from which my ancestors eventually immigrated to Springfield, IL, US. From what I've found online and from contacts using Ancestry, the address is/was: House/dwelling #21, Barnagurry, Kilkelly District, County Mayo. Three questions: 1) how does one find out if the address still exists?; if it does not, how does one find where it was?; and, 3) how does one find tour options that would afford us the opportunity to visit the address? I imagine a driving tour might be the only way, but would like someone in the know to enlighten us. I look forward to any/all responses. THANKS!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 8 Dec 2020 10:17 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Michael!

It's lovely to hear that you are making plans to come over in the future and try to visit your ancestor's homeplace area of Barnagurry, County Mayo. The area is quite rural, so a rental car would be the best way of finding the place you are looking for. This can be organized yourself or as part of a self-drive trip from a tour operator. You may also consider a guided or chauffeur drive tour.

To find out about the location of the home in Barnagurry, it would be probably best to visit the post offices at nearby Kiltimagh and/or Kilkelly and ask for help as they will know local addresses and people by name. Most of the roads in the area will be unmarked so finding it by driving around won't be an option!

Please feel free to let us know more about your search so far, we would love to know more about how you came across the details and how far back in time you have managed to find.

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Feb 2023 9:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 2 Feb 2023 5:28 AM Visits: 10
It can be challenging to travel alone for the first time, let alone with a new spouse. Romantic vacations, often known as “bae cations,” are typically exciting when you contemplate the potential for sharing private time in a strange place and making new memories with your partner. But mistakes can still happen since even a minor error can have a big impact.The best course of action for couples who are still getting to know one another on their romantic getaways in Ireland is to take an extended weekend. This way, you may become acclimated to taking trips together without placing too much stress on your relationship. For a smooth, successful vacation, lean on each other.