Where's the best place for a bit of stargazing?

Where's the best place for a bit of stargazing?

Author
Posted Tue 8 Dec 2020 10:20 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Apr 2022 1:52 PM Visits: 248
We love the great outdoors in Ireland – even after dark. And there’s a good reason why – the island is one of the best places in the world to go stargazing.

So where to start? Well, an excellent spot both day and night is County Kerry on the Wild Atlantic Way. By day, you’ll get a stunning landscape of undulating hills and mountains, wild coastline and shimmering lakes. By night, you’ll get a light show courtesy of nature at the Kerry International Dark Sky Reserve; one of only 11 on the planet! Sky tours are arranged based on the time of year and weather, but if you do get lucky then you’ll be able to stare up at the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy as you listen to the sound of the ocean. It’s an unforgettable experience.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-12-2020/63d9f939-0196-42cd-9873-e7cf.jpg

As you travel up the Wild Atlantic Way you’ll find the Mayo Dark Sky Park where you can marvel at over 4,500 stars, the Milky Way, planets and even meteor showers that engulf the night’s sky. It’s County Mayo’s low population density and the park’s preservation efforts that keep the skies above naturally dark, which allows for extraordinary stargazing now and for years to come. Keep going north along the Wild Atlantic Way and you’ll get to Malin Head in County Donegal, where the Northern Lights have been known to make an appearance. Dunree, Mamore Gap and Ballyliffin are good locations to spot this amazing light show, but like everything else, it does all depend on conditions.

The OM Dark Sky Park and Observatory in Davagh Forest, Northern Ireland is set within the beautiful Sperrin Mountains and boasts daily guided tours of the OM Exhibition, so you can enjoy the stars by day and night! If you’re here after dark, you can potentially spot deep-sky objects, star clusters, galaxies and the Milky Way!

Of course, while accredited Dark Sky Parks are the best places to stargaze, they aren’t the only ones – and when it comes to searching for stars, the more remote the location, the better. Parts of County Wicklow are ideal after-dark and Galactic Ireland know the best places to go, so check them out for a very unique experience in the “garden of Ireland”.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-12-2020/571f7a8b-97a0-4dc9-812f-532e.jpg

By day, the Hook Peninsula in County Wexford is the perfect coastal spot with a quiet beach at every corner but by night, the real charm comes from what lies above. The beautiful coastline landscape paired with a night sky full of life is a match made in heaven; what better backdrop for your evening stroll?

Don’t fancy having to brave any cold weather to witness these starry nights? Hide yourself away in one of Finn Lough’s Forest Bubble Domes in County Fermanagh for a once in a lifetime romantic experience. These transparent domes allow you to gaze up at the sky and immerse yourself into the surrounding nature all from the comfort of a warm bed!

Are there any other spots that our Community members recommend for astronomy enthusiasts?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-12-2020/b7386bea-381a-4091-997e-a4d9.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 3 Jul 2023 6:25 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (257 reputation)Community Expert (257 reputation)Community Expert (257 reputation)Community Expert (257 reputation)Community Expert (257 reputation)Community Expert (257 reputation)Community Expert (257 reputation)Community Expert (257 reputation)Community Expert (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 15
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 10 Apr 2024 11:15 AM Visits: 2.6K
Hi Jesse, 

I couldn't agree more with the sentiment that Ireland is a fantastic place to indulge in the wonders of stargazing.🌠 It's truly a breathtaking experience to witness nature's light show in the night sky. Allow me to share some additional spots that may pique the interest of our astronomy community members.

The first hidden gem is Lough Key Forest Park in County Roscommon. This expansive park offers a wealth of outdoor activities during the day, but when night falls, it transforms into a stargazer's paradise.🔭

Finally, the stunning County Clare, where the Burren National Park awaits.🌌  Famous for its unique limestone landscape, this park is also a fantastic location for stargazing, with minimum light pollution and wide-open spaces, you'll be treated to a sky filled with stars.

I hope these additions are inspiring to explore the wonders of Ireland!😉