Travel insurance

Travel insurance

Author

Posted Mon 14 Dec 2020 12:10 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 16 Aug 2021 8:52 PM Visits: 26
I just came across an article that said I should get travel insurance for our trip to Ireland for some of the tours we are wanting to do, is this really a necessity?  I am use to signing waivers for excursions we have done on previous travels and haven't yet had to purchase travel insurance.   Just trying to make sure I get it all figured out to make this the best possible trip and within a somewhat reasonable budget.   
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Dec 2020 9:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Many thanks for your question!

We would always recommend having travel insurance before any trip abroad. These generally cover cancellations, and travel disruptions and also health issues should they arise. Please take a minute to read our Traveller health article for some information on travel and health insurance to make sure that you are covered for all of the activities you are planning to do during your stay. Any hospital or GP visits would be classed as private and a cost would be involved, something that travel and health insurance would cover.

What activities have you planned to do during your time with us?
Profile Picture

Posted Wed 16 Dec 2020 11:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 16 Aug 2021 8:52 PM Visits: 26
We will be doing the usual castle, abbeys, and cemetery visits around all of Ireland.  Lots of little hikes and trying to see the not so common parts of the country.  What brought this up was when I was looking into the Gobbin's cliff walk and Carrick a rede.  
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Dec 2020 9:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
I see why you were asking now!

Normal activities as visiting castles and Abbey's would be covered under your normal travel insurance, which is recommended! As you mention, The Gobbins and Carrick-a-Rede would be classified as adventurous activities so specific exemptions would apply. They are not inherently dangerous as all safety precautions are undertaken by the attractions and many have enjoyed these in the past, as I'm sure you will too.

There are plenty of trip ideas on our pages in case you need any further help with your itinerary, along with our approved accommodation search pages. Add a location and type using the drop-down menus to see what is in the area.

Hopefully, international travel will resume in the future and you will be able to enjoy all that the island of Ireland has to offer. Please continue to check the official websites for more details, links available on the travel health page and GOV.IE page. If you’re concerned about how the situation will affect your travel plans for later, we recommend that you check with your preferred airline, tour operator or transport and accommodation providers directly as they will also have the most up to date information on the services they provide.

We look forward to welcoming you to the island of Ireland sometime in the future, if you need any more help, please feel free to come back to us. ☘️