Arranmore Church Graveyard

Arranmore Church Graveyard

Author
Posted Mon 28 Dec 2020 7:31 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Where on the island is the graveyard located? I have wanted to find my Grandparents and great-Grandparents since I was last there in 1975.
Any suggestions would be appreciated 

Thanks,

Neil Bonner
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 10:48 AM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (774 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hello Neil,

It's great to hear you're looking to find out more about your grandparents. I couldn't find a cemetery called 'Arranmore Church Graveyard'. However, I did find that St Crona's Church on Arranmore Island has a graveyard called 'Arranmore Island Graveyard'. On the Donegal Genealogy site, you can find more information. However, it has only been updated until 2008.

This graveyard is located on the south of Arranmore Island, in county Donegal. 

Hope this helped,

David
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 8:53 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
David,

Many thanks for the reply.  Now that I know the name of the church the search will be easier.
Now, if only this Virus would go away I can plan a trip. 

All the best,

Neil

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 30 Dec 2020 10:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Neil,

We are always happy to help if we can!

St Crona's church would be a good place to contact as they may hold parish records as well as information on the graveyards, definitely a good idea to get in touch with them directly as travel is not an option at the moment.

What are the names of your grand and great-grandparents and when do you think they lived on Arranmore?

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 30 Dec 2020 5:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Grandfather was Cornelius Boner (Bonner) 1863-1939 March, buried in Leahgarrow Donegal.

Grandmother was a Bridged McCole.

I had more data, but had a HD crash 2 months ago and am trying to rebuild from Ancestry.com.
Will advise when I get more data.   

Neil
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 31 Dec 2020 10:17 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Thanks for getting back to us!

As you may or may not know, before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records and all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. For County Donegal there is Donegal Ancestry and also a website Donegal Genealogy Resources that might be worth a look. The first place may well be the actual church on Arranmore for the birth records at least.

In 1864 civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions, and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), to this day. This would be handy for marriage and death records.

Find a grave has a Cornelius Bonner listed on their page with some details and an image of the headstones, is this your grandfather?

We would love to hear more, hopefully, you can retrieve the information you had.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 31 Dec 2020 5:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Martin,

You have made my day ! 
The link you sent, is in fact my Grandfather. Also my Aunts and uncles.
My father was not listed in the siblings, but I can only guess it's because he
migrated to America when he was 20 something and he passed away in
California. I suspect I can edit the link to have him listed on the site.
I want to thank you very much for your assistance in this matter. 
Have an enjoyable New Years !!

Neil Bonner
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 3 Jan 2021 12:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
Hi Neil,

You are most welcome, it is always nice to be able to track down records as they are not always easy!

We wish you all the best for the New Year and hope that you are able to visit Arranmore and take your own photos. 📷

Best wishes and all the best for the future,

Martin