Where are the best spots for a dip in the sea around Dublin?

Where are the best spots for a dip in the sea around Dublin?

Author
Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 10:32 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)I'm hooked (576 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Apr 2022 1:52 PM Visits: 248
Swimming in Dublin isn’t just a summer activity. Despite the cold waters, it’s an incredibly popular activity all year around.

So where to start? Well, a good choice for families is the small sandy beach of Sandycove, just south of Dún Laoghaire town in south County Dublin. Overlooked by the James Joyce Tower and Museum, it’s as pleasant in winter as it is in the height of summer, and the sheltered shallow waters make it a good place to get your toes wet. A few steps away is the famous Forty Foot, which started life as a “gentleman’s bathing place” and which has been popular with locals for over 200 years. The Forty Foot also makes an appearance in James Joyce’s Ulysses, but the description of it’s “scrotum-tightening” sea might not have you rushing to jump in! On the plus side, this little rocky spot featured in the New York Times as one of the 10 best places to swim in the world, and it’s certainly a memorable one with wide views of Dublin Bay, curious seals and a great camaraderie among swimmers.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-12-2020/14123710-03b3-4910-a876-9db2.jpg

Even on Christmas morning, fearless swimmers brave the waters at the Forty Foot to raise money for charity or simply to join the festive fun. Swimming in the depths of winter… are we brave or just a bit mad?

Anorther great southside favourite, which is even closer to the city centre than Sandycove, is Seapoint beach; a classic spot for a lovely walk or a swim when the tide is high. A bit further out, Killiney boasts some of Dublin’s prime swimming locations with seriously stunning backdrops. Check out the stone-speckled Killiney Beach for views stretching all the way to the Sugar Loaf Mountain in County Wicklow. Or be wowed by the epic beauty of the Vico Baths nearby – the perfect secluded seat to watch over Dublin Bay from the comfort of a relaxing, albeit cold, bath. And remember, it’s not that bad once you’ve got your shoulders in!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-12-2020/9cf5a57b-e685-4842-a4eb-de35.jpg

On the northern coast of Dublin, you’ll find Portmarnock Beach, also known as the “Velvet Strand”. This beach is a little further from the city centre but is still a must-see, adored for its beautiful, soft sand that runs for over five kilometres. It’s not every day that the sun is beaming in Dublin during the winter months but when it is, this is a great place to enjoy it.

For a more adventurous outing, visit Dollymount Strand along the north coast. This is the closest large beach to the city, free from docked boats and peaceful enough that it’s a kite surfer’s haven when the weather is windy! And if you want to try something other than swimming, this is a good place to so it, with paddle boarding or kite surfing also popular here.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-12-2020/d96cbd38-cda8-4166-a750-f0b0.jpg

As with all sea activities, caution should be exercised when swimming in Dublin. Always check with locals about where is safe to swim and be wary of currents and tides. You will usually find lifeguards on duty at popular swimming spots in Dublin in the summer months, but not in winter, so stay safe. For more information check watersafetyireland.ie

Do any of our community members have other spots they love to visit to plunge into Dublin bay?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-12-2020/8d5b49b8-73cf-45d5-b45e-9d46.jpg