Bustard Families in Ireland

Bustard Families in Ireland

Author
Posted Fri 1 Jan 2021 3:46 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Northern Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 31 Jul 2021 1:56 PM Visits: 37
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has Bustard connections in Ireland, especially Donegal?

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Jan 2021 10:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi David, 

Happy New Year, and thanks so much for reaching out! I hope you'll be able to connect with Bustard relatives and connections here. :)

I have collected some information about this surname which I hope will come in handy as well. 

The name Bustard is of Anglo-Saxon origin. It was named for the 'bustard', a large bird once common in medieval England. The surname Bustard was first found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.

Bustard households in mid-nineteenth century Ireland were mostly found in the northern parts of the island, and you can find a handy overview on the Griffith's Valuation Map website. 

I also found some information about the Bustards in County Donegal on the Genealogy website which might be interesting.

We're always here if you have any questions or could use some help with your research, so please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything. :)

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Jan 2021 4:05 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Northern Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 31 Jul 2021 1:56 PM Visits: 37
Thanks Melin,
I do have quite a bit of information on Bustard families in Ireland but am trying to bring myself up to date and find anyone with a current interest, especially in the townland of Clarcam.
David

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Jan 2021 4:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi David, 

I'm so happy to hear you were able to find out a lot about your roots already! Feel free to reach out to a wonderful organization called Ireland Reaching Out, where great volunteers attempt to connect Irish descendants to their roots, through reverse genealogical research. They might be able to help you find Bustard connections in the townland of Clarcam. 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Jul 2021 5:01 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 12 Jul 2021 1:12 PM Visits: 9
Hi,

I am related to John Bustard , Margaret Bustards father from Clarcam. Coming to check out Donegal soon 🙌🏼

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Jul 2021 8:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
That's wonderful news, Lauren!  Will this be your first time visiting the area your ancestors are from? 😀

If you have any questions about researching your roots, or if you need tips and suggestions for your time in Donegal, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

Hopefully, you'll be able to share information about your research and connect with David too! 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Jul 2021 1:29 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 12 Jul 2021 7:42 PM Visits: 23
Hi,
Re Margaret, daughter of John Bustard, Clarcam. Did she marry Andrew Greer and move to Rock Island, Illinois?
David

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Jul 2021 7:34 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Hi,

Margaret married Andrew Hammond then they had a daughter who moved to Canada which is where I now reside. I will keep looking and see if I can find any Greer 🙌🏼🙌🏼

I am looking very much forward to going to Donegal as I have so many records to go through. Thank Merlín I will take you up on that

Lauren
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 10 Jul 2021 3:40 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 12 Jul 2021 7:42 PM Visits: 23
Hi Lauren,
I have cross-referenced the Parish records for Clarcam with the Griffith Land records and found three families living there with John Bustard at their head in 1857, at the time of the Griffith survey. To place Margaret, it would be helpful to know the name of John's wife? I have the marriage entry for Margaret to Andrew Hammond on 3 Mar 1854.
David

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 10 Jul 2021 4:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi,
John Bustard was married to Elizabeth Whitley. They had a daughter Margaret Bustard. She married Andrew Hammond. Their daughter Elizabeth Hammond then married Joseph Henderson and moved to Canada. My grandma (94) was telling me stories of them yesterday.

🙌🏼