Emigration

Emigration

Author
Posted Thu 18 Feb 2021 7:19 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have a question which I'm hoping you can help with. I have an ancestor (well hubby's actually) - Mary Jane Reid born in Ireland circa 1879, but believe she has a brother born in Cumberland circa 1883. I've tried searching Passenger Lists but cannot find any lists which only show Ireland to England - was an Ireland to England voyage part of a different route (America's maybe)?
Please can you help?
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 19 Feb 2021 12:20 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (357 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 1 minute ago Visits: 658
Hi Helen,

It's great to hear that you are researching your Irish ancestry. With regard to passenger lists, you may find these two websites to be helpful in your search: Immigrant ships and TheShipsList.

More generally, in 1864 civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions, and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), to this day. Here is a link with more information.

In addition, we hope that one of our forum experts may be able to steer you in the right direction. Best of luck with your research and please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,
Eoin