Uí Niall

Uí Niall

Author
Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 12:49 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
You share a paternal-line ancestor with Niall of the Nine Hostages.

R-M269 common ancestor
10,000 years ago

The Uí Néill Dynasty
Bruno Camargo
You
The spread of haplogroup R-M269 in northern Ireland and Scotland was likely aided by men like Niall of the Nine Hostages. Perhaps more myth than man, Niall of the Nine Hostages is said to have been a King of Tara in northwestern Ireland in the late 4th century C.E. His name comes from a tale of nine hostages that he held from the regions he ruled over. Though the legendary stories of his life may have been invented hundreds of years after he died, genetic evidence suggests that the Uí Néill dynasty, whose name means "descendants of Niall," did in fact trace back to just one man who bore a branch of haplogroup R-M269.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 1:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Bruno,

What an interesting piece of history you're connected to. Niall of the Nine Hostages has an interesting life story. Ruling over the northern half of Ireland at one point. One legend has it that on a raid in Wales, he captured a young boy and brought him to Ireland. The boy eventually escaped and found his way back home where he studied to be a man of faith. Later he returned to Ireland and became the patron saint, St. Patrick. This may never have happened without Niall's actions.

How did you find out about your connection to this historical figure?

There is much legendary history to explore in the North of Ireland. You may find yourself exploring land your ancestors once ruled over!

Would you hope to come explore the island and it's history? What kind of adventure could you see yourself getting into here?

Best,

Sean
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 1:44 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
I did a DNA exam, the laboratory did a worldwide analysis with other DNA and showed my degree of kinship with Uí Niall
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 3:08 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:22 PM Visits: 658
Hi Bruno,

It's wonderful to read about your fascinating Irish heritage. It's truly amazing how DNA exams can trace our roots back to specific people and places.

Did you know about your Irish roots before taking this DNA exam or did it come as a surprise to you?

Regards,
Eoin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 3:36 PM
View Quick Profile
I didn't know, I did the DNA to find out about other family members around the world and I received this wonderful news about the king.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Mar 2021 1:11 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)
Ireland
Hi Bruno,

I can imagine that receiving that news was quite a pleasant surprise! Do you have any plans to travel to Ireland and further trace your ancestry here?

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Yessss, but I don't know where to start, I want to see the place and see the history up close
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Mar 2021 1:44 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
Ireland
Hi Bruno,

Northern Ireland is a great place to start, given your links to Niall of the Nine Hostages! Here is another interesting article on our website, that details 10 amazing things to do in Northern Ireland.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other specific queries about exploring Ireland's rich history.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 31 Jul 2021 1:27 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 31 Jul 2021 7:31 PM Visits: 9
Hi, I also descend from Ui Niall,
like Bruno i came from brazil, 
Its a honor to me to had a connexion with ireland.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 31 Jul 2021 5:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Ismael,

It's always so good to hear about people finding connections here through our community! That's such a big part of why this community exists, to find and form connections through a shared love of Ireland. 💚

How much have you learned about your own Irish roots? Like Bruno, are you planning to make the trip to Ireland to explore more about your ancestry? Please do feel free to share more!

~Rochelle