Which art galleries in Dublin should I explore on my next visit?

Which art galleries in Dublin should I explore on my next visit?

Author
Posted Thu 15 Apr 2021 8:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:59 PM Visits: 1.1K
From old masters to cutting-edge contemporary works, Dublin’s galleries champion the very best of both Irish and international artists. And with the city being such a compact size, you can hit up a few of them in just one day, too. The icing on the cake? They’re free to visit!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/15-04-2021/c6b6eda8-48dd-4657-813f-dd30.jpg

A great place to start is the National Gallery of Ireland on Merrion Square, where a modern light-filled entrance gives way to beautiful old rooms, with creaking floor boards and elegant 19th century plasterwork. It’s a great place to uncover the very best of Irish art from the likes of Paul Henry, known for his post-impressionist style of landscape painting; Jack B Yeats, who depicted scenes from Irish urban and rural life; and James Barry, an 18th century artist celebrated for his historical paintings. Stroll through the galleries here and you’ll find a wide collection of European art from the likes of Degas, Picasso, Monet and Vermeer. One of the standout pieces in the collection is Caravaggio’s masterpiece The Taking of Christ, which was “discovered” in a Dublin dining room back in 1990.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/15-04-2021/c8efad92-980c-4e96-88bf-f3e3.jpg

If you’ve got a taste for modern art, then don’t miss out on the Dublin City Gallery: The Hugh Lane on Parnell Square. When it opened in 1908, the Hugh Lane was said to be the first public gallery of modern art in the world. As well as masterpieces by Monet, Manet, Degas and Renoir, which are shared with the National Gallery of London, this beautiful 18th century building hosts Francis Bacon’s legendary studio.

The Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA) is one of the most engaging art galleries in Ireland. IMMA creates a space where contemporary life and contemporary art meet to challenge and inspire one another. Each year, new modern pieces are added to the collection of artistic media for visitors to interact with and enjoy. The Gallery holds frequent exhibitions, a memorable one being the Freud Project displaying Lucian Freud’s legendary figurative art. It has a beautiful location within the 17th century Royal Hospital Kilmainham in Dublin 8, which sits on 48 acres of land boasting formal gardens and meadows.

Got time for a few more? Why not browse around the airy rooms of the Royal Hibernian Academy on Ely Place, close to St Stephen’s Green? If you enjoy photography, the Gallery of Photography on Meeting House Square in Temple Bar boasts great changing exhibitions throughout the year. Or why not check out some of the smaller contemporary art galleries and studios around the city, including the Kerlin Gallery and the Molesworth Gallery.

Although we can’t explore these galleries in person just yet, many have organised special virtual tours of their collections or exhibitions for you to enjoy from home.

Did a piece of artwork or exhibition really stand out to any of our community members during your visit to Dublin? 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/15-04-2021/86ae82c9-2191-41f6-b889-0fe8.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Apr 2021 6:50 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Wow! This place looks quite amazing for travelling with family on a holiday trip. I would also like to explore nearby places by hiring a luxury taxi service if available there. 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Justin, 

Exploring the area with a luxury taxi service is a great idea! :) Is there anything, in particular, you'd be interested in? 

There is so much to see and do in Dublin, and you could even include areas outside of the city to experience more history and nature.

Take a look here as well for more helpful information about taxis and private tours. If you ever need any help planning a trip, I'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction. 

Wishing you a lovely Friday, 

Melin