What films will transport me to Ireland?

What films will transport me to Ireland?

Author
Posted Thu 22 Apr 2021 9:52 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:59 PM Visits: 1.1K
From iconic film scenes to gripping TV series, Ireland and its gorgeous landscapes have taken over our screens time and time again.

If you haven’t watched Game of Thrones already - it’s a brilliant place to start, as Northern Ireland is Game of Thrones Territory. Home to rugged coastlines, breath-taking landscapes, caves and castles, Northern Ireland was the perfect backdrop to bring the Seven Kingdoms to life… so get watching!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/22-04-2021/f265ff1d-9a62-400e-b722-d8f3.jpg

Is Belfast the new Hollywood? Maybe not quite yet but it has become a bit of a hot-spot for several successful TV shows, particularly crime-noir series such as The Fall, Line of Duty and season 3 of Marcella. Keep your eyes peeled to see if you can recognise any popular filming spots including the Cathedral Quarter, the Belfast docks and Belfast city centre – perfect for those thrilling chase scenes!

When it comes to epic scenery, nothing quite compares to the Wild Atlantic Way. The Cliffs of Moher in County Clare laid the scene for Harry and Dumbledore’s unforgettable confrontation in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Mix crashing Atlantic waves with dramatic cliffs and you’ve got a showstopper of a backdrop! The cliffs also starred in the fun-filled fairytale romp, The Princess Bride.

The Star Wars crew found the Wild Atlantic Way an inspirational spot, too. In Star Wars: The Force Awakens, you’ll spot Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamill walking the magnificent cliffside of Skellig Michael in County Kerry. They returned to showcase more of County Kerry’s raw beauty on the Dingle Peninsula, as well as Donegal’s Malin Head for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Ireland proves that you really don’t need to travel far to find landscapes that are out of this world.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/22-04-2021/98b50ba4-c267-4af5-a265-1d6a.jpg

Some of our favourite binge-worthy TV series are also set on our island! Shot in Derry and Belfast is the hilarious comedy Derry Girls, which takes you through the life of teenage girls (and boy) during the 1990s. And how can we forget the sweet love story between Connell and Marianne in Normal People, which is set in Dublin city (with great shots of Trinity College) as well as County Sligo. 

Do any of our Community members recall a TV series or film where Ireland’s landscape really drew your attention?  

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/22-04-2021/ea158b54-f88c-4d61-a315-14fd.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Apr 2022 9:51 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 7 Apr 2022 9:46 PM Visits: 12
As a movie lover, I'm glad to see this question in the Community. :D

With century-old castles, ancient tombs and breathtaking landscapes, the emerald island was chosen to shoot scenes from several films.

One of my favourites, Braveheart, directed and co-produced by Mel Gibson and released in 1995, had many scenes filmed in Ireland. If you visit County Meath, you can step back in history and feel like William Wallace himself. Trim Castle was converted in York City, and the Bective Abbey, a Cistercian abbey founded in 1147 on the River Boyne, is also featured on the screen.

For the more romantic souls, the film P.S. I Love You, offers incredible landscapes and is a great choice to follow in the footsteps of Holly Kennedy (Hilary Swank), a widow who takes a trip to the land of her late husband, Gerry (Gerard Butler).

If you watched this film, you surely remember the scene where they sing "Galway Girl". Well, this scene was filmed at Whelan's pub on Wexford Street in Dublin, a traditional Irish pub to enjoy live music. However, large parts of the film's scenes were shot in County Wicklow. No wonder, with stunning mountain scenery and green fields, it was at Sally Gap, located in the heart of Wicklow Mountains National Park, where Holly and Gerry first met. :kiss:

Wicklow has also served as a location for many blockbuster movies, such as Vikings, the Tudors, Excalibur, Reign of Fire, The Count of Monte Christo, and many others.

Another movie on the list is Leap Year, which depicts the journey of Anna Brady (Amy Adams) who decides to travel to Dublin to propose to her boyfriend. Much of the film was filmed on the Aran Islands, a group of three islands located off the west coast of Ireland. The end of the film was shot in Dún Aonghasa, Inishmore, which sits on the edge of a 100-meter-high cliff that provides spectacular views of the rugged Irish coastline.

Oh, and before I forget the film Saving Private Ryan, with Tom Hanks and Matt Damon, had some scenes shot in County Wexford. The D-Day scenes were shot on the white sandy beach of Curracloe and Ballinesker.

I could go on with the list, as many other movies had been filmed in Ireland, but without a doubt the ones listed above are my favourites and many of the scenes transport me to the island. Well, being a good cinephile, I can't wait to read more suggestions from the Community, so I can add it on my list and watch it over the weekend! Does anyone have more suggestions? :)