I'd like to visit Belfast on a budget, any tips?

I'd like to visit Belfast on a budget, any tips?

Author
Posted Fri 30 Apr 2021 3:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:59 PM Visits: 1.1K
Belfast is a fantastic city, full of art, culture and great flavours – and with free-to-enter museums, great walking tours and a lively street-food scene, visiting on a budget is easy as could be.

Did you know that the RMS Titanic was actually built in Belfast? You can discover Belfast’s connections with the famous ship on the free self-guided Titanic Trail. Along the way you’ll spot Titanic Belfast, Titanic’s Dock and Pump-House, and the SS Nomadic, which was used to transfer first-class passengers to and from the Titanic. For a more general tour of the city, follow one of the local guides with Belfast Free Walking Tours to learn about the city’s monuments and buildings, its history and its people.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/30-04-2021/a18e8dae-435c-4b9f-8e1a-815a.jpg

The buzzing, cultural district of the Cathedral Quarter has great street art, nightlife, food and a whole host of galleries. Pop into The MAC, a cultural hub and exhibition space which has free-to-enter art and exhibitions in the foyer. While you’re in the Cathedral Quarter, make sure to visit “Umbrella Passage” – a lane sheltered with colourful umbrellas (perfect for our unpredictable weather). And on rainy days or nights, where better to cosy up than in the famous Duke of York pub, a gorgeous traditional spot that has walls lined with murals, memorabilia and old photos.

Looking to fuel up? You’re in luck as Belfast’s got a buzzing street food scene with great little go-tos for takeaway treats including Toast Belfast for big, tasty toasted sandwiches. A firm favourite in the city is John Long’s Fish and Chips, which has been around since 1914 and it still THE place for some ultimate comfort food: salt-and-vinegar-doused fish and chips! The area around Queen’s University is a brilliant hunting ground for cheap eats with loads of deals, and Maggie May’s is a particular favourite thanks to their super-tasty, all-day Ulster Fry. And if you’re around at the weekend, make sure to pop into the historic St George’s Market for a bite to eat at one of the many food stalls on Saturdays and Sundays.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/30-04-2021/1f6bf126-2062-434e-a9d9-3bee.jpg

One of the really great things about Belfast is the amount of museums and galleries that are free-to-enter. Kick off with a visit to one of Belfast’s most iconic buildings, City Hall. Free public tours of the building are available and are great for getting an insight into the history and architectural details of this Belfast icon. The Ulster Museum is a must-visit, with wonderful collections of art, natural sciences and historic pieces and is on the grounds of the gorgeous Botanic Gardens, a delightful Victiorian park with a beautiful palm house and tropical ravine. Over in east Belfast, you’ll find Stormont Parliament Buildings and Estate, which offers free tours to the public from Monday to Friday. 

And don’t forget about the great outdoors when you’re in Belfast! For a phenomenal view of the city, head to the top of Cave Hill in Cave Hill County Park. It may be a bit of a climb but the greater the effort, the sweeter the reward! Cave Hill is just one of a number of hills around Belfast, so if you’re up for more outdoor fun, head to Carnmoney Hill, or Divis and the Black Mountain. A little outside the city, the Lagan Valley Regional Park is ideal for a great day out with over 4,500 acres of countryside and 11 miles of riverbank. And if all that sounds like too much activity, then make your way instead to  C.S. Lewis Square in east Belfast, which celebrates the Belfast-born author of the Narnia Chronicles. It’s a small but pleasant place to unwind and marvel at the statues of popular characters from the books.

Do any of our Community members have more tips and tricks when visiting Belfast on a budget?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/30-04-2021/abf7c6d2-00de-4b92-b4b1-b511.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jun 2021 12:50 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 41
I love visiting Belfast from Dublin from time to time. Did you know that Belfast has the only professional ice hockey team on the Emerald Isle? Catching a Belfast Giants match is a rare treat and one I'd highly recommend.