Grandmother

Grandmother

Author
Posted Sun 2 May 2021 4:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 3 May 2021 10:17 AM Visits: 3
My grandmother was born in 1900,enniscorthy in workhouse as Ellen Hawkins.... I can find no record of her being born..... I have her birth certificate!
Not sure where to go to try and trace her 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 3 May 2021 9:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Jacky,

Thanks for taking the time to join us here, we hope that we can be of some help with tracing your grandmother!

Wexford County Archives has some information on the four workhouses in the county with suggestions to look at the censuses for 1901 and 1911 in the National Archives and also the records of birth, marriages, and deaths held online with the General Records Office. There is a record of Ellen's birth in the register which will probably tie in with your information. Please let us know if this is correct.

Some of the information from Wexford County Archives includes records from the time your grandmother would have been at the workhouse, not all of this is available online but they may be able to help with what information they have, their contact details are on their website.

Hopefully, some of our other members and industry partners may be able to help too.

Regards,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 3 May 2021 10:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 3 May 2021 10:17 AM Visits: 3
Thanks Martin for the information I received from you.... Yes that is my Ellen Hawkins..... That's the only find for her, it gets very complicated as her name changed to Elizabeth Hughes...... Don't know why... I have been trying to search her beginnings for many years. Also my grandad George Henry Easton, her son born in Clontarf.... Can't find him in Ireland..... Oh the elusive Irish.. 😂... Thanks for your help will keep looking.
Jacky Machin 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 3 May 2021 6:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Jacky,

Yes, records can be quite inconsistent. They can come down to the discretion of the person making the record at the time. In this case it is possible the name change was a mistake or lost in translation between records. Or was the change intended by her?

Church records are a good resource if you have yet to try any, as they were a pivotal structure in Ireland at the time.

We hope you are able to track down your roots. If you manage to make a breakthrough, feel free to share your experience here on the community. It could help others on their search for their families past.

Best,

Sean