What are the coolest medieval castles on the island of Ireland?

What are the coolest medieval castles on the island of Ireland?

Author
Posted Thu 13 May 2021 9:05 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:59 PM Visits: 1.1K
Ireland is covered head to toe in castles, each with its own unique story to tell so get excited for some fascinating history, myths and legends and beautiful architecture!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/13-05-2021/69831f0b-dcc6-4d1b-8a7b-7195.jpg

Want to meet Ireland’s beloved rock star? No, not Bono… the Rock of Cashel in County Tipperary! The Rock of Cashel has everything to satisfy your medieval needs with impressive towers, chapels, cathedrals and fantastic Celtic art. Strictly speaking, it’s not actually a castle, but it’s the most impressive cluster of medieval buildings in Ireland, with a round tower, high cross, Romanesque chapel, Gothic cathedral, an abbey, a hall and a 15th century Tower House. It was once the seat of the Kings of Munster and many of Ireland’s most important figures, including Brian Boru and St Patrick, are associated with it. Take it from us, it’s a must-see!

Stepping inside a medieval castle is always a thrill, and at Donegal Castle in the heart of Donegal town, you can do just that. Built in the 15th century by one of Ireland’s most powerful families at the time, the O’Donnells, the castle fell into ruins during the 20th century but has since been restored and is open for the public to discover its interesting past. Kilkenny Castle in Kilkenny city also boasts an impressive interior and guided tours of the period rooms and great hall are well worth taking.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/13-05-2021/f805fe05-0581-4665-bebe-01bf.jpg

If you love myths and legends, then head on over to Blarney Castle in Cork and pucker up! Rumour has it that if you kiss the Blarney Stone at the top of the tower, you’ll be rewarded with the gift of the gab so you’ll never be lost for words again. That is, until you explore the stunning surroundings and floral gardens the castle is hidden amongst. You’ll also find beautiful surrounds at Ross Castle which sits at Killarney’s lower lake in County Kerry. The legends here have a bit of an edge, as the castle is believed to be home to ghosts who roam the halls. It’s also said that O’Donoghue Mór, who built the castle in the 15th century, rises from the lake on the first morning of May every seven years – and who are we to argue!

Trim Castle in County Meath is a definite crowd-pleaser – just ask Mel Gibson who starred in the film Braveheart shot at this historic site. It’s the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland so follow along one the tours to be sure you’re investigating every nook and cranny there is

In the beautiful Lakeland county of Fermanagh, you’ll find Enniskillen Castle where the Fermanagh County Museum and Inniskilling Museum are held. Perched next to the River Erne, this castle used to guard one of the few passes into Ulster and once served as an English garrison fort and military barracks. Dunluce Castle is another one of Northern Ireland’s iconic castles – its abandoned castle ruins teeter on the edge of a cliff along the beautiful Causeway Coast. During the 17th century, the royal Antrim family lived at Dunluce Castle before returning to Glenarm Castle nearby. 

Want to live like royalty? Spend a night at Ashford Castle in County Mayo and you’ll certainly have a taste for it! This Victorian castle offers next-level luxury as you relax in the beautiful estate surrounded by pristine gardens that look out onto Lough Corrib. Guests have also been staying at Dromoland Castle in County Clare since the 16th century where you can live out your fairytale fantasy and enjoy the perfect mix of historic grandeur with modern comfort in this five-star stay. But what better way to live like a king than mingling with the earls and lords themselves?! Crom Castle in Fermanagh offers a once in a lifetime experience to spend a weekend at the castle with no other than the 7th Earl of Erne as your host. 

Do any of our Community members have some other legendary Irish castles that they’d love to recommend?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/13-05-2021/c206cc89-b20d-43da-9a83-3e48.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 16 May 2021 1:03 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 41
So many great suggestions for castles to visit! I have a few more to recommend:

1. Drimnagh Castle
Located within Dublin City limits, Drimnagh Castle is believed to be the only castle in Ireland that still had a proper flooded moat.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/16-05-2021/a70c3990-d8f1-4e30-af6f-abc.jpeg

2. Ardgillan Castle
Less than an hour north of Dublin by car, Ardgillan Castle presents sweeping views over the Irish Sea and is the perfect place to go for afternoon tea and a walk.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/16-05-2021/1c2fd7c4-ba31-49b3-b006-2ce.jpeg

3. Kilkea Castle
Located in South Kildare, Kilkea Castle was home to some colorful characters in Irish history. The castle dates back to the 12th century and you can book an overnight stay.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/16-05-2021/2710d19e-e4c1-46fc-9d00-a88.jpeg

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 May 2021 12:23 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (778 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
This is the first time I hear about Drimnagh Castle, Jennifer! It looks beautiful, thank you for sharing. 
I'd say my favorite castle is Dunluce, those sea views can't be beaten. 😍

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jun 2021 12:48 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 41
Plus 1 to Dunluce, David! I also recently took a weekend road trip on Carlingford Lough. King John's Castle lends an amazing ambiance to this vibrant town.