What are the best cliff walks on the island of Ireland?

What are the best cliff walks on the island of Ireland?

Author
Posted Thu 20 May 2021 1:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:59 PM Visits: 1.1K
The Cliffs of Moher are indeed spectacular, and there’s a good reason why they’re one of the most popular attractions on the island of Ireland. But rest assured, there’s plenty more fantastic cliffs to enjoy along our wonderful coastline!

One of the best areas for cliff-hunting is the Wild Atlantic Way – this amazing 2,500km-long coastline has been pounded into incredible formations by the Atlantic Ocean, so you’re never too far from a cliff or cliff walk. Close to the Cliffs of Moher in County Clare you’ll find the Kilkee Cliffs, which are a bit more under-the-radar than their nearby famous cousins, but are definitely worth checking out. The Kilkee Cliff walk begins at the Pollock Holes, natural swimming pools where you can dip your toes into the refreshing, albeit chilly, Atlantic Ocean. Walk past beautiful bays, such as the shipwreck site at Intrinsic Bay, and glorious views at Moveen Hill, and keep an eye out for the glimmering Diamond Rocks.

Up in County Donegal, you will definitely feel on top of the world at the Slieve League Cliffs, some of the highest sea cliffs in Europe. Every direction is a new shot of outstanding beauty so make sure to bring your camera with you. The best place to enjoy some epic panoramas is the Bunglas Viewpoint, but if you want to stay on the move, follow the Pilgrim’s Path for a very scenic hike. While in Donegal, don’t miss a visit to Malin Head, the most northerly point of Ireland. Trust us, this spot certainly sets the highest of standards for outstanding beauty along the Wild Atlantic Way.

Calling all Star Wars fans! If you ever find yourself in the little village of Portmagee in County Kerry, don’t miss out on a trip to the Kerry Cliffs, standing over 300 metres above the wild Atlantic. Not only are these cliffs epic in their own right, they’re also a fantastic viewpoint for the Skellig Islands – rocky, isolated islands just off Kerry’s coast. Skellig Michael is home to a 6th century monastery and was a filming location for Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

You’d be surprised how much coastal beauty you’ll find on the outskirts of Dublin. Escape the city’s hustle and bustle and head to the seaside town of Howth for a breath of fresh air on the Howth Cliff Path. This stunning walk skirts the cliff edge of Howth Head and boasts gorgeous views of Dublin Bay and the Bailey Lighthouse. Right around the other side of Dublin Bay in County Wicklow is the Bray Head Cliff Walk, which brings you out to the pretty seaside town of Greystones. Both these walks are accessible by DART from the city centre meaning you can go from urban buzz to wild cliffs in under an hour.

Perched along the edge of the Causeway Coast in Northern Ireland is every photographer’s dream location: Mussenden Temple & Downhill Demesne in County Londonderry. Your walk here begins through the Bishops Gate Gardens, a beautiful garden, which is home to fascinating rare tree species. Follow the trail to discover the ruins of Downhill House – an 18th century mansion overlooking the glorious coastline. However, the big crowd pleaser is Mussenden temple, built in 1785 on a cliff edge. This historic landmark looks down onto Downhill Strand where you can even ditch the cliff walk for a horse ride on this sandy beach.

Who wants to walk the plank? Or bridge, we should say! The Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge joins the gap between Carrick Island and County Antrim and has done for over 250 years. But don’t let this put you off! Rest assured, the bridge is very safe but if you’re still feeling nervous, just cast your eyes towards the stunning views of Rathlin Island in the distance. And if you like that, you’re going to love the Gobbins Cliff Path for a walk on water, or very close to it at least. Hanging off basalt cliffs over the Irish sea, this fun walk is the experience of a lifetime. Get up close and personal with the crashing waves, rocky outcrops and sunken caves as you make your way along the steel bridges on the Causeway Coast.

Do any of our Community members have a favourite cliff walk they’d like to recommend?

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jun 2021 12:44 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 41
If you are short on time, the Howth Cliff Walk is an easy day out in Dublin and is one of my favorite Dublin walks.