What can I see and do in the Burren?

What can I see and do in the Burren?

Author
Posted Thu 24 Jun 2021 1:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:59 PM Visits: 1.1K
Located on the Wild Atlantic Way, the Burren is one of the most unique environments on the island of Ireland, and when you get there you’ll realise why the word actually means “rocky place” in Irish. Often described as moon-like, this limestone wonder is one of the best Glacio-Karst landscapes in the world – boulders dot the swathes of stone, fissures run through it, and delicate little flowers spring from its crevices. Bounded by the Atlantic Ocean and boasting some beautiful sandy beaches, it’s a place that slowly reveals its secrets over time. And with lots of businesses now developing a sustainable ethos and practises, it’s a place that really does care about its environment. 

Because the Burren is all about being outdoors, a great way to explore the region is by bike – more specifically, an electric bike. Soak up the beauty without breaking a sweat on a guided tour with E-Whizz, passing all the gorgeous surroundings and fascinating megalithic sites, such as the 5,800-year-old Poulnabrone Dolmen and the medieval Caherconnell Stone Fort. Some of the best sights are uphill so the electric bike makes it all a breeze.

Cameras at the ready – this region is home to one of the superstars of the Wild Atlantic Way, the Cliffs of Moher. These sea cliffs stand around 214 metres above the wild Atlantic and stretch for around 8km, making them some of the most dramatic cliffs along Ireland’s coastline. The Cliffs of Moher are part of the Burren and Cliffs of Moher UNESCO Global Geopark, making them a specially protected area for birds and wildlife. A great way to experience them is by walking the Cliffs of Moher Coastal Walk from Doolin. Along the way, keep your eyes out for kittiwakes, guillemots, fulmars and the popular puffin.

If you like the look of the Atlantic Ocean from up there, you’re going to love it once you’re in. Get off your feet and hit the sea as you explore even more of County Clare’s coastline with North Clare Sea Kayaking. While described as the “wild” Atlantic, the waters along the foothills of these limestone mountains are surprisingly calm, so nothing will distract you from the surrounding sights. Paddle by rocky outcrops, caves, and tremendous sea cliffs for an up close and personal look into the Burren’s geology.

Now you’ve discovered the Burren’s land and sea, why not go deeper? Venture 55 metres below ground into Doolin Cave, home to the longest free-standing stalactite in Europe. It’s hard to believe that this icicle formation began from a single droplet thousands and thousands of years ago! The Aillwee Cave is one of the oldest in Ireland and boasts a fascinating underground world full of unique rock formations, caverns and even a waterfall. 

All that exploring will most certainly build up an appetite. It’s just as well the Burren has quite the reputation for its food! Join the award-winning Burren Food Trail in a celebration of the wonderful produce of the area. Taste delicious local delicacies and discover the talent behind the food as you mingle with the producers themselves. Want to pick up some skills? Wild Kitchen teaches you how to identify, harvest and use wild food on this insightful food trail. You’ll reconnect with the Burren’s produce at its very source, tasting wild fruits, berries, flowers, seeds and enjoying the amazing landscape along the way.

Showing off our beautiful island is always a pleasure but to keep its beauty, we have to look after it. To do your bit during your visit, be sure to bring reusable items, eat local produce, walk or use public transport and never litter. That way, we can show off Ireland for years and years to come! Do our community members have any suggestions for things to do and see when visiting the Burren?

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jun 2021 12:42 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 41
The Burren is definitely an iconic destination in Ireland. In fact, a Dublin to Clare road trip is one of my favorite itineraries. I love that you can see puffins from land at the Cliffs of Moher in the late Spring and early summer. Ailwee Caves is also another fascinating diversion and includes a birds of prey center. Fanore Beach is an absolutely fabulous place to watch the sunset.