Irish Graves on Norfolk Island, Australia

Irish Graves on Norfolk Island, Australia

Author
Posted Fri 2 Jul 2021 12:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 2 Jul 2021 2:15 PM Visits: 5
Hello, my name is Judy Brodie from Australia and it was suggested that I share my post to your site, as there are many Irish people that were buried on Norfolk Island, a tiny island off the coast of Australia, where it was a British Penal Colony for many convicts. I photographed the main cemetery back in 2009, and I am in the process of adding all the headstone photos, over 1,000 of them, to a group called "My Ancestor - Where did they go? Reinternments" on a Free Website called Ancestorian.com - Come and have a look....if you think they might have left your shores. Many reasons for their deaths were recorded on their headstones. Most of the people buried, were not from Norfolk Island, as it was originally uninhabited, until found by Captain James Cook... they were from mostly Ireland and England. Remember it was where some of the worst convicts were sent to.... after Tasmania, but there were many soldiers as well and their families, that lived on the island amongst the convicts.The headstones were in 2009, in the process of being restored, enough that they were legible to read again. Many hundreds of hours from volunteers, did remarkable work with this cemetery.My husband and I were there on a holiday, when I decided to photograph them. I now want to share them for all family tree researchers freely. I hope you find someone...or just enjoy reading the headstones... https://www.ancestorian.com/groups/?my-ancestor-where-did-they-go-reinternments/

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Jul 2021 1:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hello Judy,

What an incredible way to preserve history for generations to come! I'm so glad that you were directed to our little corner of the Internet so that more people can connect with the stories that these people left behind.

It's so good to see the time and effort that both you and the volunteers put into making these graves legible and accessible. I'm certain that this will go a very long way towards helping someone discover a piece of their family history or just help to preserve the tales of these people and their experiences. 

Thank you again for your hard work in documenting and uploading these gravestones!

~Rochelle