My Family Lineage and the Copper Coinage Debate in Wexford

My Family Lineage and the Copper Coinage Debate in Wexford

Author
Posted Fri 9 Jul 2021 11:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 9 Jul 2021 11:54 AM Visits: 5
Hi all,
I want to dig as far back into my Irish lineage as possible. I've made my way back to Wexford, early 1700's, and found out that my 10th great grandfather was hanged for his part in manufacturing the new copper coins in 1722. I've also been told that this information isn't true. I am coming over to trace my ancestors' footsteps, and I want to know if there is a way to be as close to accurate as I can. How can I find out if this information is even remotely close to true?
Thanks for Listening and Helping, 
Brandon Kelley 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Jul 2021 1:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Brandon,

Thank you so much for reaching out regarding your work so far!

It's so impressive to hear that you've managed to trace your ancestry back so far. It sounds like you've put a ton of heart and effort into learning more about your Irish roots and what these connections mean.

Unfortunately, discovering or verifying information from the 1700s can be quite difficult, as there may not be reliable documentation from this period anymore. At this point, what I would recommend is reaching out to the Co. Wexford Heritage organization for more targeted information and advice. There's a contact us section at the bottom, where you can send your question, and they may have more insight into the historical truths behind this family story.

If you do learn more, and I truly hope that you do, please be sure to let us know! 

Kindly,
Rochelle